NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Decent Barlow Lens for Imaging?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a good quality imaging Barlow for a Canon DSLR attached to a 130pds OTA?

I tried using my original Skywatcher 2 x Barlow that came with my 60mm refractor but this doesn't cut the mustard and is too long that it is impossible to attain prime focus.

thanks,

George

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have the Telvue 2x Barlow, a lot cheaper than the powermates and almost as good, if not as good IMHO, besides not to be picky, but the powermates are not strictly barlows!!

MM

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a good quality imaging Barlow for a Canon DSLR attached to a 130pds OTA?

I tried using my original Skywatcher 2 x Barlow that came with my 60mm refractor but this doesn't cut the mustard and is too long that it is impossible to attain prime focus.

thanks,

George

Powermates are good but you pay the price, the Televue barlows are also good but still expensive so it really depends on your budget and how much use you think your barlow gets. You could have a look at Revelation 3 element barlow, the 2.5X is a good performer for about £30.00 and on a different planet to the stock SW barlow.  

A.G

Hi Everyone,

thanks,

George

Hi George - is the SW Barlow you are using the 'deluxe' version? This has the thread on the end of it for attaching a T Adaptor, and it is the one I use. I would also be interested in a better quality version (or one with higher magnification) but I'm not sure how those already mentioned will help? Surely yet another adaptor is required to mount a DSLR onto them as they all appear to have compression rings for 1.25" EP use, or am I missing something?

Thanks everyone, I will have a look at the Televue's. Only thing im concerned about is the length of these Barlows. They are a couple of inches in length and this lifts the sensor out of the range of attaining prime focus, is there a Barlow that is very short that can screw into a T-ring and not lift the camera to far away from the focuser?

Johnny - I don't think its a deluxe addition as it was something including in my 60mm refractor starters kit :). It also doesnt have a screw thread to attach straight on the T-ring so i have to use a T - Adapter to attach it.

Although it is primarily designed for their 8-24mm Zoom, the Baader Hyperion barlow works very well with my Canon. It comes with a T2 adapter.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-barlow.html

It's a versatile bit of kit that gives nice sharp results and is a nice compact package when attached to the camera. Bonus is you can always couple it with a Baader Zoom later, but you can also screw it onto regular eyepieces.

The FLO above shows a nice exploded view of the bits it comes with.  I've got my best shots of Jupiter and Saturn with it. It's well worth the £76 FLO are asking for it.

where is best to buy telvue barlows? (new) i cant find many places...

Look on astro buy and sell there is an almost new mint condition one for £70 or one for £40 without compression ring, still a good buy

MM

Look on astro buy and sell there is an almost new mint condition one for £70 or one for £40 without compression ring, still a good buy

MM

If you want new they are £88 plus postage on widescreen centre website, and on SCastro website

MM

I will give you a heads up on the £40 one......he will take £35. Trust me....lol

No you don't really need it, just means it may mark your eyepieces slightly by the screw, or get another compression ring

Not offhand

But if you have other items 1.25" just use one from those like an old Barlow they clip out so easy, or even if you had to buy another cheap Barlow, for a few quid with a compression ring, it still makes the Telvue one for £35 a superb buy.

I would use is without until you can find one, it won't damage anything

MM

Not offhand

But if you have other items 1.25" just use one from those like an old Barlow they clip out so easy, or even if you had to buy another cheap Barlow, for a few quid with a compression ring, it still makes the Telvue one for £35 a superb buy.

I would use is without until you can find one, it won't damage anything

MM

thanks buddy

No problem

Like I say I was going to buy it and offered the guy £35 and he accepted...so get in there, I have changed my mind now, and going to wait and get a powermate, I did have that Barlow before and sold a while back...big mistake, should have kept it.

No problem

Like I say I was going to buy it and offered the guy £35 and he accepted...so get in there, I have changed my mind now, and going to wait and get a powermate, I did have that Barlow before and sold a while back...big mistake, should have kept it.

thanks i got it for £35 he is posting today too :)

Archived