NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star Hopping help

Hello, I've just taken possession of an excellent Start Map book 'Pocket Sky Atlas' but.... whilst it is very good for a set of Bins and/or Finder scope with a 4-5deg view it seems to me to be lacking as soon as I slot in my 25mm EP at 1deg for my 300p Dob? Would this be correct or am I missing something? So, I looked on here under 'Star Maps' and came across Trialtas Maps that seem to be just want I need i.e. they have a 'C' Section that is the most detailed but I still have 2 problems with these Maps 1. The C Section I find it almost impossible to determine what map I need from the Overview Map (especially U Maj - where is it?) and 2. I still don't know how to work out the scale i.e. I've attached a small section of Bootes around the double star Izar, can someone help determine what 1 or indeed 0,5 degs would work out as, even better how I'd work this out? I'd guess that 1 square in this map is 1 degree or am I incorrect?

Thanks in advance :tongue:

Izar Map C.docx

Hopefully this will help.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197640-collimation-and-star-hopping/

your 25mm eyepiece will give you 1500 / 25 = 60 and then 50 / 60 = 0.8333 degrees. you are right that each square on the map shown is approx 1 degree.

Hi Thanks, I got 1 degree as I thought when my 25mm EP says 60 AFOV that's where I got my 60 / 60 but should the AFOV be 50?

Hopefully this will help.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197640-collimation-and-star-hopping/

your 25mm eyepiece will give you 1500 / 25 = 60 and then 50 / 60 = 0.8333 degrees. you are right that each square on the map shown is approx 1 degree.

Also, yes I did read these very helpful guides (this is where I came across the Finder Templates revelation) but it only deals with the 5degree template and not when I want to get down to what I see in my 25mm FOV. Hence my question?

Also, yes I did read these very helpful guides (this is where I came across the Finder Templates revelation) but it only deals with the 5degree template and not when I want to get down to what I see in my 25mm FOV. Hence my question?

you can make them for a 1 degree circle but of course you'll not see much in the sky and telescope map. with all maps you need to create a circle on an appropriate size for what you want to see. you could make one card with a 5 degree circle (for a standard finder) and a 1 degree circle for the eyepiece view but I don't generally find this necessary if you use the 5 degree finder template effectively.

ps I find the deep sky hunter maps very good.

Hi, no worries I'm just pleased I know how I got to 1 degrees :grin:

That's another great Map and its actually more detailed than the TriAltlas 'C' section one I refer to and easier to locate the Constellations. I'll be using all the resources that my work has to get me a bound (well a binder), A4 clear plastic sleeve edition :grin:  

good stuff. it's always useful to have more than one reference source. whatever way you go, the larger scale maps will be useful as always it's a compromise. the S&T fits in the pocket but is less detailed, the larger maps certainly don't fit in the pocket and links between pages take time to find but they have a lot more detail.

Archived