Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturday Morning Sun

Pig

I am a little surprised that there is no difference then.

Send Michael an instant message, as he may not read this thread, he has the 35mm like yourself and it would be better to ask someone who has the same kit.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the thread I started "lunt arrived",Michael explained what he did to get it to work. The wheel on mine moves very freely....All the way too the right and freely back again and nothing. I can't do anymore than what I'm doing

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

STUPID STUPID ME .....LOL. as soon as I got up I had one of those moments where it all just fell into place, I'm referring to what Michael said to me about the etalon tuner on my lunt.

I've said it doesn't work but now it does but I've yet to try it's effect (clouds) :(

As I've said earlier the wheel moves very freely clockwise and counter clockwise. It's what John said which had me thinking (and this is what has just clicked in my head) he said "it was a bit nerve wracking too do" ...

When I'm behind the scope and slowly turn the wheel to the left eventually it comes to a DEAD end (WILL NOT GO ANYWAY FURTHER) now if I freely turn it the other way,for a while it turns easy and comes to another dead end (or so I thought) .....THIS IS THE NERVE WRACKING BIT.....The wheel suddenly seemed to bite and become stiffer......And low and behold began to tilt the etalon :-) :-) :-)

I apologize to Michael for not reading and digesting his information on sorting this, perhaps I had it in my head that the end of the wheel movement WAS really the end and I didn't want to force it, but as I said it was the "nerve wracking" moment he said which prompted me to get a result :-)

THANKS MICHAEL

So ive finally managed to get the etalon tilt working and WOW it does really make a difference :-)

From the beginning it gives you a general view of everything....turn some more and the proms show up better.....some more and the proms begin to fade but the surface detail shows up better. Come towards the end and the proms and all the surface detail has gone and all is left is a bright red disk,showing sunspots.......BRILLIANT :-)

Just finished work and I'm fogged out at the minute but forecast is looking good. Got a nice shiny case coming this morning to house "my precious",bit like the ones you can get from maplins but this one is long and thin. In going to keep the scope in the rings and just put it in the case when not in use. Post pics later when it arrives.

CLEAR SKIES TO ALL YOU SOLAR NUTS :-)

I am pleased you have the hang of it.

White light through a Baader film solar filter is very similar to what you saw when you tuned your etalon until you just saw the orange disc and sunspots, only the disc is white disc instead of orange. (white is the true colour of the sun so I have read)

White light through a Herschel wedge is an improvement on the film as you can see the spots and their filaments along with some granulation :smiley: Even though it is still a white disc the detail is very much enhanced, especially when you zoom in on the sunspots.

Archived