NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ursa Major widefield

After hitting the ISS going overhead on the 18th April at Clumber Park - I decided to try taking a nice widefield of ursa major. I chose this one as its closer to polaris and should therefore get longer than 7 seconds without star trails!

Finally remembered to shoot in RAW mode - only to discover DSS doesnt like SRAW from my samsung camera, so had to convert them to tiff files in the samsung software and stack them. No idea if this does it any favours or not though.

anyway, using samsung nx100.

stacked 10 out of 14 in DSS - each 30 seconds at 20mm F3.5 iso1600 and 5 darks of the same. Not totally happy with the focus, not very sharp - but still looks ok to my untrained eye.

Must now start to understand all the different settings in DSS, other than sliding some of hte levels up and down and hoping for the best. Might also try and use a trial version of a processing program and see what thats all about.

Any feedback on this pretty much unaltered image would be appreciated, as I have no idea if I can get a better processed image out of this or not. If anyone wants to volunteer to have a play with the tiff file i got from DSS as it comes out, please let me know and I'll host it somewhere and let you have a play with it.

post-26554-0-42606300-1398284583_thumb.j

I too love the widefield inages; and as above love the fact much fainter stars show up and also the different colours become apparent. Personally i like it if a satellite passes through, as i feel that is more reflective of how the night time really is these days.

This is a lovely image, well framed. The stars are not pin point so i wonder if the focus wasn't as sharp as it could have been - always difficult to get spot on.

But lovely; thanks for sharing.

Jd

I found with my widefield attempts I have to stop down the f/ value on the lens, as if I had it wide open I got coma aberration at the edges, but you don't seem to be suffering with that, but again, maybe if the focus was bang on it may be noticeable; just something to consider next time.

JD

PS. There are typos and then there are typos .... twice in one post .... !!! 

yeah yeah yeah, I know - thats what happens when you make your post on an android tablet and dont review it properly and let the auto-correct work its 'magic'... I only noticed about an hour later and it was too late to go in and edit my post!

if a mod could edit it, that would be cool and save more continual embarassment.

yeah yeah yeah, I know - thats what happens when you make your post on an android tablet and dont review it properly and let the auto-correct work its 'magic'... I only noticed about an hour later and it was too late to go in and edit my post!

if a mod could edit it, that would be cool and save more continual embarassment.

Done...

Awwww :)

+1 more for the orig. :)

Me too !

In the autumn I am always pleased to see the return of Beetlejuice and see how orange it appears

and chuckle every time I think of Serious Dogs having stars.

But perhaps I am just being childish, cos I also used to like making radios and electronic stuff out of Geranium Transistors.

I will now always think of The Great Bear as , well I'd best not repeat it !! to save any blushes, but yes, I thort it was a great name :) :)

Archived