NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommended CCD or CMOS Cameras.

Hi All, Im looking to invest in a CCD or CMOS camera for my Celestron 130SLT NexStar telescope. I am looking for one in the budget of £0 - £120.

Does anyone have any recommendations. I am looking to capture deep sky objects like M31 and the Orion Nebula aswell as Solar system objects.

Many Thanks

Ben

Hi All, Im looking to invest in a CCD or CMOS camera for my Celestron 130SLT NexStar telescope. I am looking for one in the budget of £0 - £120.

Does anyone have any recommendations. I am looking to capture deep sky objects like M31 and the Orion Nebula aswell as Solar system objects.

Many Thanks

Ben

The cheapest Cooled CCD that u can get off the shelf at the moment is the Orion Starshoot G3 for about £340.00 which believe it or not is a steal for a cooled CCD of any sort, just the chip  size is on small side. I would advise you  to get a decent modded DSLR for about £ 250.00, probably a used Astro Modded Canon 1100d and use it to get experience untill u r ready for the serious stuff ( serious money I meant ) . I doubt very much if u r going to get anything worthwhile for £0.00 or anything else untill u r ready to part with atleast £200.00. 

A.G

A CCD will definitely be out of the question.

But for that Budget you should be able to pick up a secondhand DSLR like a Canon 450D or 1000D.

For solar system Objects (aka Lunar and planets) you can get away With a cheap modded webcam for about £20 to £50.

Thanks, And how would i mod a webcam may i ask (noob)

Just do a search for webcam mod on the DIY Astronomer section of this forum. There are many threads for various brand webcam modifications there that will provide all the info and guides you need.

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/18-diy-astronomer/

For example:

HOT >> Xbox Livecam: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/131246-xbox-livecam-mod-cliff/?hl=%20webcam

HOT >> MS HD webcam: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/58350-hd-webcam-modification/?hl=webcam%20mod

(Did this one myself several years ago. One of the easier ones)

Quickcam Pro: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/175140-quickcam-pro-4000-webcam/?hl=%2Bwebcam+%2Bmod#entry1809561

Just do a search for webcam mod on the DIY Astronomer section of this forum. There are many threads for various brand webcam modifications there that will provide all the info and guides you need.

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/18-diy-astronomer/

For example:

HOT >> Xbox Livecam: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/131246-xbox-livecam-mod-cliff/?hl=%20webcam

HOT >> MS HD webcam: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/58350-hd-webcam-modification/?hl=webcam%20mod

(Did this one myself several years ago. One of the easier ones)

Quickcam Pro: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/175140-quickcam-pro-4000-webcam/?hl=%2Bwebcam+%2Bmod#entry1809561

Will Do, just looked on amazon at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-StarShoot-System-Imaging-Camera/dp/B004E4M7QI

Do you think it will be capable of taking pics of deep sky objects like Andromeda etc?

have found your way around

Thanks, And how would i mod a webcam may i ask (noob)

Get an X box webcam for about £3.00 ~£5.00 off the ebay, google for a tutorial on how to blind the LED lights inside the webcam to get it ready for AP, I did mine in less than 30 seconds. Get an adapter to fit the webcam, an Aluminium one off the shelf is about £12.00 or you could use an old film canister on  the nose of the webcam for no cost . Once you have found your way around then u can start thinking about the more serious and costly stuff.

A.G

It's an ok camera for planetary, but I personally think it's overpriced as it's just a rebranded webcam.

Would this be too much for you?

http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasPlanetary.html#QHY5L-II

The OSC Version is £184 (I have that one) and it's very sensitive and allows for longer exposures. It's still a planetary camera at heart, but you could use it to practice captures on bright DSO targets like Andromeda, M42 and star clusters.

The APTIMA CMOS Sensor MT9M034 is a very good and very popular proven CMOS sensor used by many.

It's the best bang for buck planetary camera you can buy at the moment.

But if you are really on a small tight Budget. Just start on a modded Xbox or MS HD webcam. It's definitely the cheapest way to start. You just cannot use it for DSO targets. But Works great on Moon and planets.

Especially, just noticing the Scope/mount you have. You won't be able to take long enough exposures anyway, due to it being an Alt-Az mount.

It's an ok camera for planetary, but I personally think it's overpriced as it's just a rebranded webcam.

Would this be too much for you?

http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasPlanetary.html#QHY5L-II

The OSC Version is £184 (I have that one) and it's very sensitive and allows for longer exposures. It's still a planetary camera at heart, but you could use it to practice captures on bright DSO targets like Andromeda, M42 and star clusters.

The APTIMA CMOS Sensor MT9M034 is a very good and very popular proven CMOS sensor used by many.

It's the best bang for buck planetary camera you can buy at the moment.

But if you are really on a small tight Budget. Just start on a modded Xbox or MS HD webcam. It's definitely the cheapest way to start. You just cannot use it for DSO targets. But Works great on Moon and planets.

Especially, seeing the Scope you have. You won't be able to take long enough exposures anyway.

Ill look into it, thanks for the suggestion

better implemente d

Will Do, just looked on amazon at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-StarShoot-System-Imaging-Camera/dp/B004E4M7QI

Do you think it will be capable of taking pics of deep sky objects like Andromeda etc?

Don't waste your time and money with this one, the sensor is an old, noisy and relatively insensitive affair compared to the modern chips from the same outfit. If you are really serious about webcam imaging then there 3 clear choices, The imaging source cameras ( well buit and high quality but expensive)   QHY LII, these are up to date and sensitive or the ASI 120 MM or MC , these have the same senstive sensors as the QHYLII but perhaps with better implemented drivers.  I am afraid that there is no good and cheap alternative in this hobby even at an entry stage.

A.G

They all look as if they are planetary cameras so in reality a webcam, none seem to say they take exposures of 30-60-xxx seconds, which is what is required for DSO imaging.

The one that comes to mind is the AWO ASI 120 but that is about twice your budget when new.

They do appear on the used market occasionally, so that is likely the best option for one.

Quick check and one went on ABSUK for £160 recently, so a little more in the pot and keep an eye out is I think the best approach.

They all look as if they are planetary cameras so in reality a webcam, none seem to say they take exposures of 30-60-xxx seconds, which is what is required for DSO imaging.

The one that comes to mind is the AWO ASI 120 but that is about twice your budget when new.

They do appear on the used market occasionally, so that is likely the best option for one.

Quick check and one went on ABSUK for £160 recently, so a little more in the pot and keep an eye out is I think the best approach.

The QHY5L-II is the exact same as the ASI 120, but cheaper and lighter in weight. Excellent camera. Have it myself and works great! No problems with drivers on Windows 8.1.1 whatsoever.

The QHY5L-II can take exposures up to 10 mins. In theory, as a 10min exposure will be extremely noisy with uncooled CMOS sensors.

But as the OP has a 130SLT Nexstar telescope. It's an Alt-Az Mount, so he won't be able to use it for long exposures anyway and restricted to planetary imaging.

The QHY5L-II is the exact same as the ASI 120, but cheaper and lighter in weight. Excellent camera. Have it myself and works great! No problems with drivers on Windows 8.1.1 whatsoever.

The QHY5L-II can take exposures up to 10 mins. In theory, as a 10min exposure will be extremely noisy with uncooled CMOS sensors.

But as the OP has a 130SLT Nexstar telescope. It's an Alt-Az Mount, so he won't be able to use it for long exposures anyway and restricted to planetary imaging.

Thank you, I also have a MacBook, so i am unsure weather the QHY5L-II will work.

Thank you, I also have a MacBook, so i am unsure weather the QHY5L-II will work.

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina and run Windows 8.1.1 in Bootcamp.

If you only run MacOSX, it's going to be tough as not many planetary cameras support OSX I am afraid. None that I know off. Not even the expensive The Imaging Source cameras.

The ASCOM platform for example, is also Windows only. You going to make it yourself very difficult I am afraid, without running Windows in Bootcamp.

I was a little concerned as the Modernastronomy site mentions nothing about long exposures.

Didn't really want the OP to get a camera that didn't do what was wanted.

If the scope is alt az then perhaps a webcam for planetary and add more money to the pot. That way they get to grips with the processing side, at least a little.

Minor problem is we are running out of planets. :eek: :eek: :eek:  They are all running away. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  That sort of complicates things a bit. Getting a webcam to image planets is not much use if no planets to image. :grin:

I was a little concerned as the Modernastronomy site mentions nothing about long exposures.

Didn't really want the OP to get a camera that didn't do what was wanted.

If the scope is alt az then perhaps a webcam for planetary and add more money to the pot. That way they get to grips with the processing side, at least a little.

Minor problem is we are running out of planets. :eek: :eek: :eek:  They are all running away. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  That sort of complicates things a bit. Getting a webcam to image planets is not much use if no planets to image. :grin:

Both the Sun and the Moon are always around and never run away. :)  So With Baader filter he can do white light solar imaging and in the night (when moon is up) imaging the Moon. :)

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina and run Windows 8.1.1 in Bootcamp.

If you only run MacOSX, it's going to be tough as not many planetary cameras support OSX I am afraid. None that I know off. Not even the expensive The Imaging Source cameras.

The ASCOM platform for example, is also Windows only. You going to make it yourself very difficult I am afraid, without running Windows in Bootcamp.

ok, im kind of screwed then :p

I'll give a second vote for the QHY5L-IIM (or the ASI120MM), very good planetary cameras, which can take some reasonable long exposure images on smaller, brighter DSOs.   Had some pretty reasonable results on the brighter globs and planetary nebulas with mine - though as already mentioned you will really need a motorised EQ mount to tackle these targets!

The other advantage of either of these is that they will also serve as excellent guide cameras, when you get a DSLR or CCD camera.

DSLR is well worth a mention  to - I got a factory refurbished Cannon EOS1100D for £ 160 (only 200 clicks) - this can turn in some excellent images, particularly with the WB filter removal mod!

ok, im kind of screwed then :p

Pretty much. The cheapest option would be a DSLR, but you need at least a Canon 600D, as that one can be used for planetary imaging. (NOTE: The 1100D cannot be used for planetary video capture)

The cheapest Canon 600D will still set you back £250-300 second hand if you are Lucky.

Then the problem will be Processing. I don't know of any decent planetary capture / stacking software on OSX. Most software available on MacOSX, like Nebulosity ( $80 ) is long exposure (DSO) capture and processing software.

You can try to search the internet and see if you find some People using Canon 600D video capture and process it on OSX.

Pretty much. The cheapest option would be a DSLR, but you need at least a Canon 600D, as that one can be used for planetary imaging. (NOTE: The 1100D cannot be used for planetary video capture)

The cheapest Canon 600D will still set you back £250-300 second hand if you are Lucky.

Then the problem will be Processing. I don't know of any decent planetary capture / stacking software on OSX. Most software available on MacOSX, like Nebulosity ( $80 ) is long exposure (DSO) capture and processing software.

You can try to search the internet and see if you find some People using Canon 600D video capture and process it on OSX.

yeah it can. I use mine through back yard eos

QHYLII and ASI 120MM use the same sensor but this does not mean that they are the same camera, the sensor can take exposures up to a few seconds and I mean few not tens of seconds in the long exposure mode but these exposures are very noisy due to the built up of thermal noise. The drivers for the ASI120s are better enigneered than QHYLII, a quick search of the net and you can find all sorts of issues with QHYLII drivers and various OS platforms, maybe these have been sorted out maybe not but I have not heard of   ASI 120 drivers causing problems, and before anyone starts up I do have an original QHY8 OSC camera and it has been fine so I have no axe to grind. A planetary camera with " long exposure capability " is a very different beast to a dedicated DSO imager. A DSLR can be used quite successfuly for DSO imaging so long as the thermal noise buid up can be controlled. I did use my modded 1100d last December to image the usual targets but even with the ambient temp being sub zero the sensor temp was about 11~14C and as a result the camera and the laptop were left in the garage to finish tatking the necessary darks. l feel that the OP ought to know what he is getting into and  should be expected from various equipment and at what cost.

Regards,

A.G

Both the Sun and the Moon are always around and never run away. :)  So With Baader filter he can do white light solar imaging and in the night (when moon is up) imaging the Moon. :)

I have the same arguement with the Sun and Moon:

How many images of the Sun and Moon do you want to get before you throw the lot off a high cliff.

Oh, another big round whitish/green orb with dark spots on it.

We do not have that many solar system objects to image, I simply think that after 3 to 5 images of any of them that anyone will start to get fed up. I know I would.

There is one option: ZWO do a small cmos, the ASI034MC

Not a high spec but it says it can do up to 60 seconds, 365Astronomy have them at £119.

It is 0.34Mp as implied by tyeh naming convention.

It has the drawback of being less easy to use as a guide camera later.

Also in honesty 365Astronomy say the ASI120 is a better choice.

"you'll be better off with a ZWO ASI120, ASI130 or Moravian Instrument's G0 or G1 cameras...."

ASI034MC

Cannot find much that tells me what OS the software will work on, so a Mac may be out of it.

Still suspect that adding to the pot over the next few months and keeping an eye out on the used side, here if the OP manages about 4 more posts, and ABSUK as well. Half the reason for this is that the summer is hurtling towards us and the nights will not be that dark or long so a reduced chance of imaging.

Is your bit of Staffordshire too far from Leamington Spa? Get along to the IAS and ask questions, and if they do the same as last year eat bacon rolls. :grin: :grin:

I have the same arguement with the Sun and Moon:

How many images of the Sun and Moon do you want to get before you throw the lot off a high cliff.

Oh, another big round whitish/green orb with dark spots on it.

We do not have that many solar system objects to image, I simply think that after 3 to 5 images of any of them that anyone will start to get fed up. I know I would.

There is one option: ZWO do a small cmos, the ASI034MC

Not a high spec but it says it can do up to 60 seconds, 365Astronomy have them at £119.

It is 0.34Mp as implied by tyeh naming convention.

It has the drawback of being less easy to use as a guide camera later.

Also in honesty 365Astronomy say the ASI120 is a better choice.

"you'll be better off with a ZWO ASI120, ASI130 or Moravian Instrument's G0 or G1 cameras...."

ASI034MC

Cannot find much that tells me what OS the software will work on, so a Mac may be out of it.

Still suspect that adding to the pot over the next few months and keeping an eye out on the used side, here if the OP manages about 4 more posts, and ABSUK as well. Half the reason for this is that the summer is hurtling towards us and the nights will not be that dark or long so a reduced chance of imaging.

Is your bit of Staffordshire too far from Leamington Spa? Get along to the IAS and ask questions, and if they do the same as last year eat bacon rolls. :grin: :grin:

But did you follow the topic? Read the other posts?

Please explain to the OP how he can take long exposures with his 130SLT Nexstar Equipment that consists of an Alt-Az Mount?

The QHY5L-II can do up to 10min exposures. All naff and pointless With an Alt-Az Mount. Even 60 sec exposures will not be possible. A couple sec at most, without Earth rotation kicking in causing star trails.

With the little budget he has, he is pretty much stuck to planetary imaging. There is that and that's that.

Not to mention that he is stuck with a MacBook with OSX operating system only! Complicating matters even more for him!

Unless he has at least 700 pounds lying around somewhere to invest in a secondhand HEQ5 Mount, a 2nd hand DSLR like the 1100D and buy a windows License to run Bootcamp on his Laptop.

He can forget about DSO imaging on a budget.

That you don't like imaging the moon and sun in white light and rather throw yourself off a cliff, doesn't mean others will do so as well.

I find that a pretty offensive statement that does a lot of injustice to many People on this forum enjoying this part of the hobby!

There are plenty of People that get a great enjoyment out of planetary / Lunar / Solar imaging. Me included!

And Sir Patrick Moore is turning in his grave seeing you write that. He dedicated his entire life and carreer on the moon. ;)

Here in Norway, with our midsummer Nights... we won't have any dark Nights for over 3 months. So all I could do at the time 3 years ago was imaging the sun in white light. And you know what? I enjoyed it a lot and learned a great deal from it.

The sun changes every day. Spot features change every day. Not to mention you learn a lot about capturing, stacking and processing.

To a small degree some surface bright objects like globular clusters can be photographed with a planetary camera on 1-few sec exposures. But on alt/az frames would have to be stacked with derotation (like in nebulosity). It's not something you can expect good results from but you can try. Planets/moon would be the main targets for such setup.

Archived