SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Computer control..

Hi guys..

How would I go about controlling my scope from my pc? I know there is the nexremote from celestron for about 95 quid, but can it be done cheaper? I mean, can i just buy a cable (serial/usb) and control with some other software.

Also on this note, how would I go about autoguiding with my LPI? Are these the same issues or does each need a different solution?

Cheers

L

edit: oh yeah.. my scope is this one: http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=32735&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3812

:D

I control my scope using The Sky6 software, which employs an application called the ASCOM Platform as the software interface between The Sky6 and the scope.

Starry Night Pro, will also do the same job.

I used to use Starry Night Pro 3, but switched to The Sky6, which IMO does the job much better, and is cheaper.

Autoguiding with the LPI, would be difficult, but not impossible, as it lacks the necessary sensitivity.

This means that there would be many occassion when you weren't able to find a bright enough star to guide on.

Dave

ok .. had a play this morning.. for 4 hours and still no joy...

I have maximdl, starynight, stellarium, nexremote (trial), NSOL.. all fail to connect to my scope. Some give errors others just dont do anything.

I have a serial adapter and a cable that came with the LPI, this plugs in the adapter and connects to the handset, uses com3, gives ra/dec in nsol but does not respond ... also got another cable that came with the LPI that fits the autoguide hole in the mount.. should i be using this one ?

can someone please explain the setups for guiding and comp control.. I tried these with no success.

laptop -> serial -> hand controller

laptop -> serial -> autoguide port on mount

[me=LaVey]not got a clue... :scratch:[/me]

Are you sure the software you are usig is connecting to the correct comm port. If i remeber right I had similar probs tring to connect my SLT to the pooter.

I found that, and I'm sure it was in the control software, you can specify different comm ports. I just kept trying different ones until it connected, comm 4 I think it was. (this setting might be in the ASCOM driver the more I'm thinking about it)

I now have a CG5GT mount like yours and will be trying to connect it the pooter sometime, might give it a go in the next day or so and see if get the same probs you are.

I'll try Stellerium 0.9 and Starrynight 6.

In the mean time I hope you get sorted mate........................

Gary A

Not sure what the problem may be but for me it's

Lappy= usb-serial adapter= hand controller=mount.

On my older Celestron goto mount you also had to specify on the hand controller that you were going onto RS232 (under the utilities I think), then go back to lappy and check the com port status and providing you have the Ascom platform, then with the planetarium S/W open ask the S/W to "connect" (and pray.....) but seriously this worked !

Karlo

• 1 year later...

Archived