NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 RGB only

earth titan

Seems like ages since I actually took an image..... So as spring has sprung, I've been having a go at M51 as it is pretty well positioned for early nights work.

So far I've got RGB only. I've run these at 2x2 binned to get deep colours, so they lack finer resolution, but I'll follow it with luminance at 1x1 (this evening???? - fingers crossed).

I've been working on better guiding and now have subs of 500 seconds with no noticeable star trailing / distortion. This is really boosting the signal and results in far less noise in the stretch - definitely the way forward.

• 80mm APO and Atik 314
  • 6 of each RGB at 500 secs a sub (so about 3 hours of data so far)
  • All binned 2x2
  • No calibration frames yet
  • Initial processing PI
  • Then in PS

Comments welcomed.

post-6511-0-77299300-1397894988_thumb.pn

excellent, i did exactly the same as you the other night, Moon lit though, had 8 x 5 minutes 2x2 binned RGB and 8 x 5 minute lum, took darks at 2x2 binned and light and dark flats, just wish i knew how to put them all together and get a nice picture L.O.L.

Archived