NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar photography with a SW 300mm pros and cons

Greetings

With my diy obsy build nearing finishing I was curious about solar photography with this beast , I can construct the filter quite easily with this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-photofilm-nd-38.html from FLO

but with a 300mm aperture are there any drawback? The other option would be to use a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens with the same type filter on one of my bodies piggy backed on the OTA.

Just looking for things to fill in time between cloudy nights, it was on my list of things to try later and now later is nearly here!

Andy

IMHO I'd make up an off axis aperture mask from the Baader Solar Film say around 100mm clear.

That's generally more than enough aperture for the average daytime seeing conditions and will give great views.

(I used a full aperture filter on my 12" Meade Lx200 and found it didn't give much better results.....)

Greetings

Many thanks

Solar is all new so it's a mini adventure in the daylight, it 's going to be quite strange being able to see everything around me  but I bet I still manage to lose  something!

I'll also get the darker film for visual viewing then  I will lose an eye piece, always do!

cheers

Andy

Archived