NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How bad is my Light pollution??

Hi everyone

This might be a silly question but I use my scope in my back garden and there are always 2 street lamps on and im in the busy city of Manchester so light is always an issue, however I have access through my work to get on the actual roof tops of these city buildings and therefore no visible obstructions will be in the way but im just wondering would the light pollution still be an issue?? Id say these building's are approx 200ft high. All safe and secure so no hanging over roof edges :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you're in the city light pollution will always be an issue. The only thing on top of a building that won't need to deal with is direct glare of light sources...since you're higher than street lights and a lot of city lights. But you'll always suffer from the overall accumulation of these lights. It'll create a glow around the city and hinders proper deep sky observing.

also from Brixton i not only suffer from light pollution but thermal currents form all the houses etc, a rooftop location will possibly suffer even more so. although its only really an issue when planetary imaging at long FL. never had a problem with DSO at short FL long exposure data

Archived