Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

obsy electrics...

Scott

First a bit of background... My plans are as follows :-

Due to living in a rented house I'm not too keen to go all out with an observatory so I'm building a roll off shed (or to be more precise, a roll off phone booth :D) with the idea of running cabling to a larger existing shed about 15 mtrs away where the laptops will be, thus allowing me to sit in relative warmth. I will also be putting in the conduit for 240 v in case I find using the leisure battery too much of a pain.

I have enough cat5e (not sheilded) to do about 7 runs so my question is...what type of plug/ socket should I use? am I right in thinking that rj45 panels at each end with shorter leads of rj45 to whatever is required?

at the moment, I'm running a 1100d,qhy5, eqmod from the shed with 2 dew tapes (through a hitech controller), mount running off the leisure battery..the laptops will be run off 240 volt in the shed

What have I missed and what have I got wrong? thanks for taking the time to read/answer this.

Why do you need 7 runs of cat5e from the house to the shed. One will be enough with a switch at the end, two would allow for redundancy (but I'd just put in one and a bit of string to pull another in later).

In fact, a powerline adapter will be absolutely fine if you don't already have an easy way to terminate it and connect up to the network at the house end.

Why do you need 7 runs of cat5e from the house to the shed. One will be enough with a switch at the end, two would allow for redundancy (but I'd just put in one and a bit of string to pull another in later).

In fact, a powerline adapter will be absolutely fine if you don't already have an easy way to terminate it and connect up to the network at the house end.

thanks for the reply dmahon..sorry for th confusion. I've not explained myself very well. When I said I have enough for 7 runs, I was just pointing out that I have ample cable although I will probably run 3 or 4. one for each laptop (2) and 1 or 2 for redundancy. I got the cable for nothing off a mate so there's no cost involved. :)

Archived