Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 13/4/2014

RikM

Seeing was a bit ropey tonight unfortunately. The disk was at times just a fuzzy orange ball. Even when it steadied, there wasn't the detail I had last session. I tried a Baader Solar Continuum filter (in place of a W58 green) and it made the polar cap pop out but didn't do a lot for the dark surface features. A SkyWatcher LPR (similar to a Baader Neodymium) was quite a help though. It knocked the glare and fuzz back a bit and seemed to bring out a bit more contrast.

The white limb feature was a notable 'shape', bulging up and over the top if the dark fan shaped feature. I presume this fan shape is the U shaped thing visible on the 9th just moved round the disc a bit? (I have no idea what any of these things are! I'm just making the best of it until the blasted moon goes away and I can look at faint fuzzy things again :D )

med_gallery_5915_414_13968.jpg

Great report Rik and a very nice sketch  :smiley:

I was seeing something somewhat similar with my ED120 refractor tonight - your drawing captures it very well. 

I find the 5mm and 3.5mm Pentax XW's really good planetary eyepieces. I pop an ortho in now and then but I don't see any more detail and the XW's are just so comfortable to use :smiley:

I felt the Moon was washing the contrast out of Mars tonight to some extent but it was still well worth observing. All too soon it will start shrinking as it rushes away from us  :undecided:

Archived