NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Mars opposition image!

Droogie 2001

I was out at around 22.30 and managed to get some better images than my previous effort. This time I used my Bahtinmov mask to focus which helped.

I also found that the imaging had more stability earlier on and by 23:30 it started to get quite wobbly ,after that Mars went over my neighbours roof.

This is my best effort so far but I still have more video to process. 

There are quite a lot of features on show this time and I have tried using my Sky Safari app to identify the features but I am struggling to name them.

I see the image has two white patches, one I guess is the Northern polar cap but what is the other,

I have seen this on some other images too, looks like cloud?!

Did not use a Barlow as ran out of time so it’s quite a small image

Finally does anyone have any post processing tips to help with the image, I just used Registax 6 with an RGB Align and adjusted the Gamma settings and that's it. Any Photo Shop tips?

As a new member I cannot add a signature yet so details are: Celestron Nexstar 8 SE, Neximage 5 camera. 90 second capture with 4700 frames. Registax set to best 10% frames.

Thanks James. Yes I have a x2 barlow and will be running with this soon. I know x3 barlow is recommended with RGB filters but will have to save up for that! Just pleased I got some detail as previously views of Mars have been disappointing both visually and imaging.

Archived