Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5L-IIc optimal use

Amra

Hey, I have three questions about the QHY5L-II colour.

1. Is there any point in me recording in colour on the Sun (white light)? I mean the Sun is just white and often we change the colour in post-processing to some false colour (which can look absolutely great) or just keep it like it is.

2. What about the Moon? Basically all my Moon images so far have been B/W anyway, but I know there is colour in the Moon, it's just not very easy to bring out is it?

3. Should I always record in 14-bit mode? I haven't been doing that up to now, didn't even know about the option, I would like to know the benefits of it, if it's worth using on particular objects or always?

I have been looking at the different configurations for my camera and I discovered I haven't even optimized them until now to record for max FPS, I get about 21-23FPS now @ 1280x960 with debayer on, if I record RAW (B/W) I get the limit of 30FPS. Also if I use 14-bit mode the FPS write will go down to 15FPS @ 1280x960 in both BW & Color, so at 1280x960 I don't lose much FPS by using 14-bit mode, however at all other lower resolutions 14-bit mode effectively halves the FPS, so at 640x480 where I would get 100fps I get 50, and on 320x240 where I would get 200+fps, I get 100fps with 14-bit mode.

So I'm also wondering if I should be using 14-bit mode for planets for detail or instead benefit with double fps for a faster big stack.

Archived