Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG4 Mount conversion

Hi all,

I need advice please on how to best and cheapest way to convert my CG-4 mount which used to house a 102mm refractor by means of tube rings to house either a reflector or Mak scope with a fitted dovetail bar.

The spacing is 150mm between the two end connection holes. The width of the recess is 30-31mm.

Thanks in advance.

Tony.

post-36348-0-03326000-1396120620_thumb.j

I did a diy conversion to mine to accept a dovetail puck a number of years ago. This one from Telescop Express is very similar http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p388_Starway-Quick-release---dovetail-adapter-for-diverse-mounts.html . I think this is the I used http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/telescope-accessories/mounting-bar/long.html (now out of stock) and a dovetail puck I had.

Thanks Peter, I'll look into it further.

I'm surprised that Celestron don't offer the modification.

I'll try and get a local engineering firm to cut a plate with holes drilled at 150mm for fixing to the mount, and will have to probably have to purchase a vixen style saddle clamp to mount onto it.

Once again the prices as with everything else is very excessive for a couple of pounds worth of metal unless another member has a spare they don't require.

Cheers

Tony. 

Being a newbie and needing to learn could you help with the following please.

What is the technical name of the mount type shown in my photo of the cg-4 unit? Is it just for tube ring connections?

I presume Celestron produce various cast metal tube connection types, in this case just for the CG-4.

What is the proper name for the standard dovetail mount that I will probably require for a new OTA that I will purchase in the next month or two?

Still looking at Skymax 127, SW 150 pro or the Revelation MC 6inch Mak which I believe all come with a vixen style rail. Will these rails all be the same width size?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

No idea what the correct name is for that type of saddle. The standard dovetail is normally called a Vixen style dovetail. I wouldn't put a telescope any heavy that the SW127 on the CG-4, the SW150 Mak or Revelation would be too heavy for it. I did use a 150 Mak on my CG-4 many years ago and the best upgrade I did to it was to buy a HEQ5 Pro. The difference in stability was immense. With the CG-4 the slightest vibration took 3 or 4 seconds to die down, with the HEQ5 vibration is almost zero.

Archived