NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help to ID 6" F8 Newt

I've been trying to find something suitable for my lad without breaking the bank - but came across this being advertised for very little.    It's advertised simply as a 6" reflector on an EQ mount, with a number of EPs - but judging by the photo would appear to be around F8, which would be interesting for a dobsonian mount/conversion and might make quite a nice planetary scope.

post-26731-0-83044100-1396047102.png

The photo is very poor, but thought someone might be able to hazzard an educated guess - the mount looks a little agricultural and old, but no idea if this would be original.

Anyhow interest is piqued and probably worth a shout! 

I've been trying to find something suitable for my lad without breaking the bank - but came across this being advertised for very little.    It's advertised simply as a 6" reflector on an EQ mount, with a number of EPs - but judging by the photo would appear to be around F8, which would be interesting for a dobsonian mount/conversion and might make quite a nice planetary scope.

attachicon.gifMystery6"newt.png

The photo is very poor, but thought someone might be able to hazzard an educated guess - the mount looks a little agricultural and old, but no idea if this would be original.

Anyhow interest is piqued and probably worth a shout! 

Could it perhaps be a Fullerscopes Newt? Looks about right :)

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/6-f8-fullerscopes-reflector-on-ebay.html

Could it perhaps be a Fullerscopes Newt?

Nice quick reply Jonathon - that would make my day if it was ;)

Just found a similar looking fullerscope 6" in an old ebay listing - themount looks very close as well - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fullerscope-6-inch-telescope-Mount-Tube-Finder-and-Drive-/121210705647?nma=true&si=2gnNrUVXkEsKR%252BpJJa5JeZzXask%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Nice quick reply Jonathon - that would make my day if it was ;)

It would be a great buy - AFAIK they had mirrors made by David Hinds. It would make an excellent planetary scope :)

Providing the mirrors are in good condition mind you ;).

It's certainly a Fullerscope EQ mount and pedestal, either a Mk II or a Mk III - the main difference is the finish. I've just sold a Mk III.

I'm not sure the scope is a Fullerscope though. They usually have wider tube end trims than the one pictured. I might be wrong though. It could almost be a TAL 2 150 F/8 on a Fullerscope mount.

It's certainly a Fullerscope EQ mount and pedestal, either a Mk II or a Mk III - the main difference is the finish. I've just sold a Mk III.

I'm not sure the scope is a Fullerscope though. They usually have wider tube end trims than the one pictured. I might be wrong though. It could almost be a TAL 2 150 F/8 on a Fullerscope mount.

Thanks John - sound advice and vast knowledge as always.    Seems I'm a bit of a sucker for these older tubes, though this could make a very nice dob for the lad and I have been promising for a fair while.

Thanks John - sound advice and vast knowledge as always.    Seems I'm a bit of a sucker for these older tubes, though this could make a very nice dob for the lad and I have been promising for a fair while.

Don't write off the EQ mount - the Fullerscope Mk II / Mk III's are very basic but really robust. They make an EQ5 look a bit feeble.

I now have a new addition to the Stable ;) - photos and details to follow later, but a proper bargain for £ 10 including a bag full of bits and pieces.    Not so sure on the electrics though! 

Many pictures here in the Album:

Seems this is the cheaper version, with fibre glass tube (three vane spider) and the MkIII mount.   Not sure I can make out the writing and label on the optics, definitely in need of a recoat anyway!.    Lots of spare bits, but there is not drive control for the RA motor and this looks pretty shot.   The vendor was telling me that she had used this powered directly from 240v - I shall choose to ignore this bit and will discard the very dubious looking electrical cables that were supplied!   No tube trims or dust covers and generally in poor state, although the R&P focuser seems to work quite smoothly and the mount looks solid and in good general order.
From the mirror, I have; Brunnings? and MD/49 Kirkwood? on the label:     I'd like it to say H Wildey somewhere as this was the better quality, though suspect this is the cheaper grade
My guess is that this is one of the earlier ones from 1965-1970 given the RAS EPs and focuser, helical focuser and Charles Frank RAS barlow - though more learned members here will have more insight/knowledge.
All in not bad for £ 10 and a most charming vendor - a retired school science teacher and astronomer.   Quite a lot of work to do to bring this back to good working order and another mirror re-coat to consider, probably with Galvoptics in this case.

Archived