Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for scope, mount and accessories

Hey guys,

I currently have a Nexstar 4se setup. I'm now in the market for some upgrades since I want to do some more AP.

I had the following in mind (keeping the budget in check also...:))

Scope:

Skywatcher Evostar BD 80/600 ED APO

Mount:

Difficult to choose between the Celestron AVX or the Skywatcher EQ-5 pro

-> is the AVX that much better to justify (in my case) 250€?

Guiding:

Skywatcher synguider

The full setup would be to dual mount my SE4 OTA with the Evostar since I was thinking of using the 4SE as the guidescope.

My desperate call for help since I can't seem to find the answers myself:

Any recommendations about the mount?

Is the 4se even good as a guidescope?

What do I need to connect the 2 scopes to my mount?

thx

I'm not an imager but did dabble a while back and almost bought a Synguider. But a quick search of the web convinced me it was a bad idea. Star aquisition sounded a nightmare bordering on the impossible. Perhaps there are people here that can give a proper assessment of the Synguider but i would definitely read up on it first.

Oh and the Nexstar 4 may seriously limit the already limited number of stars available to the Synguider. People tend to go for the inexpensive Startravel 80 as the guider. Nice wide field.

But i know where you are coming from with the setup. It was the idea i had too. A nice smallish self contained setup with minimal leads and faff. In the end i went with a ED80/Celestron 70 on a HEQ5 Pro with the DSLR and QHY5 guider camera. What i didn't figure into the equation was my total lack of talent.

The AVX seems to be well liked and would hold the ED80 and ST80 (or 4SE) no problems.

Archived