NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography question

danos

Hi,

I looking to do some deep sky astrophotography with my edge hd 8, and was wondering if anybody can give me some advice on if i should buy an separate guide scope (if so which one is good for my scope?) or use and off axis guider? im also looking to buy a focal reducer and the lodestar autoguider too.

Thanks

Daniel

You are on the right track. The best way to guide with long FL is with a OAG. You will need a good guide cam and the Lodestar is a good choice. Definately look into getting the EdgeHD reducer. Celecstron has a 8" one. They are pretty pricey so if you can get one second hand you will save a good chunck. There are other reducers that work and are cheaper but I think the corrected imaging circles are smaller so it could work with what ever camera you have but you'll have to just do some calcs to figure that out.

Besides all of that the most important thing is your mount. What mount do you have?

Which mount do you have?

Off axis guiding is usually best with this type of scopes.

For guidecam the Lodestar is old and expensive, QHY5L-II is just as good and much cheaper.

Hi i have the celestron vx mount, that camera looks good thanks for that do you know if you need a laptop or can you use it as a standalone?

That mount should work nicely.

You need a computer to control it. Using a computer is the best when you want to do imaging, it's much more flexible than standalone system.

Which camera will you be using?

That mount should work nicely.

You need a computer to control it. Using a computer is the best when you want to do imaging, it's much more flexible than standalone system.

Which camera will you be using?

I see, i will be using the canon 600d camera will that be any good?

The 600D is a good DSLR :) 

I see you consider getting a focal reducer, those are very expensive for the Edge HD.

I think it would be better for you to get a smaller refractor for imaging and a guiderfinder as guidescope,  this gives you much better results with a DSLR and are easier for a beginner. Then you can use the Edge HD for visual and imaging the moon and planets.

The 600D is a good DSLR :)

I see you consider getting a focal reducer, those are very expensive for the Edge HD.

I think it would be better for you to get a smaller refractor for imaging and a guiderfinder as guidescope,  this gives you much better results with a DSLR and are easier for a beginner. Then you can use the Edge HD for visual and imaging the moon and planets.

The focal reducer are quite expensive but i was going to buy one off a friend for half the price ill think about that second scope though. 

The focal reducer are quite expensive but i was going to buy one off a friend for half the price ill think about that second scope though. 

Its not that you cant image with the 8" its just that it will require a lot more from both you and your equipement than a short refractor would. Your accuracy doesn't have to be nearly as good with the refractor as it would need to be with long focal length of the 8". Just keep in mind that imaging at long focal lengths requires A LOT LOT more than at short focal lengths. If you have the patience and the desire to get it working than I'm sure you can. But some people like things as simple as possible and that's where the short FL refractors shine, especially if you are brand new to AP as there is SOOOOOO much to learn and consider with this hobby that the learning curve is just to large for most first timers. Just putting that out there so it doesn't seem like people are trying to shove you away from what you are trying to do.

Thanks so much for your advice guys ill take it all on board, i know this is something that i wont get perfect  overnight but im defiantly looking to put in all the effort as its been a long time ambition of mine.

Thanks again 

Archived