NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Selecting an autoguider

there are a few on here that use the Celestron NexGuide Autoguider, but there are many more that use various size scopes and dedicated cameras. the autoguider does seem to work for some people, but for others they prefer more sensitivity of a dedicated set up.

I have used my orion starshoot autoguider about 5 times at this point on my Celestron AVX mount.  The package cost me about 350USD.  It takes a little bit of time to get it calibrated, but once its done, your ready for long, long exposures.  Make sure you've done your polar align first and have everything set before you calibrate, that way you can image right away once its ready.

Hi,

I have been trying to decide for 2 months about which autoguider to get, settled on the QHY5II with its 1/2" sensor, I also tried a meade DSI II pro, and that was very good to, but needed less weight.

The QHY is superb, light, large sensor and very sensitive

Regards

MM

I'd always prefer the additional control provided by a camera and then a choice of software, so I wouldn't go for a standalone myself. Lots of people find them fine but on the other hand there are lots of exasperated posts as well. WIth a separate camera you can change software if you find yourself exasperated!

Olly

And in the blue corner ....  :p

Would just like to say that whilst the method that Olly advocates is the best method , and the route chosen by most , a Stand-alone guider works very well in my limited experience.

I bought the Skywatcher Synguider for the job , before I was on-line or even had a computer , and have always been very happy with it , quick and easy to use it supplies me with 20 minute exposures with ease , more than enough for a DSLR user.

Like most things it took a bit of getting used to , but never once "exasperated" me ...  :grin:

Had I had the chance to access the Web first I might have been nudged down the PHD road , but then again , having seen an awful lot of PHD graph screen-shots on here and elsewhere , accompanied by pleas for assistance , I'm not sure it's just the stand-alone camp that can suffer from exasperation regarding guiding ...  :rolleyes:

I have used my orion starshoot autoguider about 5 times at this point on my Celestron AVX mount.  The package cost me about 350USD.  It takes a little bit of time to get it calibrated, but once its done, your ready for long, long exposures.  Make sure you've done your polar align first and have everything set before you calibrate, that way you can image right away once its ready.

thanks all for your responses...other item that I am scratching my head about:     looking for a simple guidescope to attach to a skywatcher 120 ED pro refractor (900 mm FL), which came with an 8x50 finderscope...that finderscope has a small dove tail connection directly to scope. I'm assuming a guidescope attaches to the ring mount that holds the telescope, yes?  if so, that's ok even if you occasionally rotate telescope in mount (not during image capture I guess if you don't flip scope)?

and if I get an orion starshoot autoguider, they have a simple mini deluxe 50mm guide kit and an awesome 80 mm guide kit that seem ok...anyone use either of these with a 900 mm FL refractor?

jeff

Archived