Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CGEM Accuracy?

So just how good can you get the alignment? I am new and want to gauge my progress.

My best attempt was a two star align with sirius and betelgeuse... very bad light polution and i dont totally know my stars yet...

I tell it to find Jupiter, it is just off outside the EP, so I add Jupiter as a calibration point, move away and back... not centered but in the EP

Are the two southern stars too close to get more accurate? Does it get better than that?

Planets are generally a poor object to goto or use in alignment.

The handsets are pretty basic and I would be surprised if all information required for a planet is in there.

Planets move at a slightly different rate, I suspect the path is not a perfect arc as the stars describe, and at time they move backwards. In simple terms I would say their path and locations are approximated to but not as accurate as the stars, galaxies and other DSO's.

A laptop/PC should have the processing and memory to handle them but those handsets are sort of ancient now.

For Jupiter I was using 17mm that night. 

Makes sense about the path of the planets, I will have to try out something like m42 since I know where that is real well and see how that goes.

But I guess in general, how close to perfect center would it get? Would it be better with stars further apart and possibly more calibration stars instead of planets? 

For Jupiter I was using 17mm that night. 

Makes sense about the path of the planets, I will have to try out something like m42 since I know where that is real well and see how that goes.

But I guess in general, how close to perfect center would it get? Would it be better with stars further apart and possibly more calibration stars instead of planets? 

Hi:  some advice from others that has helped me:

- align with low power eyepiece, then switch to higher power and fine tune, for each star.

- have star slightly out of focus when centering in eyepiece

- Also eyepieces with centering reticule are available that help get stars centered.

- did you do 2 star align (you name both stars) or auto 2 star align (you name first, it generates a menu for the 2nd star and slews near it)...wondering if mount would have picked stars a bit farther apart with auto 2 star alignment..I would have?

Hi:  some advice from others that has helped me:

- align with low power eyepiece, then switch to higher power and fine tune, for each star.

- have star slightly out of focus when centering in eyepiece

- Also eyepieces with centering reticule are available that help get stars centered.

- did you do 2 star align (you name both stars) or auto 2 star align (you name first, it generates a menu for the 2nd star and slews near it)...wondering if mount would have picked stars a bit farther apart with auto 2 star alignment..I would have?

I really like the out of focus tip!

My problem is I have to pick the stars I can see and know, there is a college about 1/2mi from my house to the north, so i really only get a southern view till about early morning. But yeah, the 2 star align stars it was auto choosing for me were alot further apart and were not visible or blocked by buildings.

So I guess what I did is decent since it gets me close, cant wait to see how it works when I can get to a darker more open spot.

Archived