Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prefered webcam

Hi all, I want to go and purchase a webcam could anyone tell me if there is one out there that is cheap and easy to modify. All the new type seem to have square fronts rather than the protruding lens type. I have trawled the old posts on here but they all seem to relate to webcams that no longer exsist. Any help here would be most appreciated...Thanks....Geoff

I guess you are talking about a webcam for imaging Lunar and Planets?

If so then the cheapest new webcam that you can buy that works for sure is the xBox webcam.

You can buy these new and delivered from eBay for under £5, takes about 10 minutes to modify.

After removing the lens you can use the same thread to attach a webcam adaptor to fit a 1.25" focusing tube, think I paid about £13 for that as I couldn't find any tube to fit.

Yes this still has the square front, but with the adaptor has no issues for me.

Unfortunately I don't however I have just created a thread in the Beginners Imaging section on the next step up quality wise from the standard xBox webcam.

You may want to keep an eye out on that.

If you look at the root of the forums the first section of four is labelled beginners. We are in Beginners - Getting Started with Equipment. The thread I've created is in Beginners - Imaging.

Here is the direct link anyway.

Archived