NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First DSO: M42

Kirscovitch

Went out for about an hour tonight before I had to get ready for work. Finally got first light with the C6N and the VX mount. Alignment went well. Polar alignment could be better but I didn't expect it to be perfect. After viewing Jupiter for the first time in what felt like forever I got out the new 1100D and try for my first image of a DSO. This is just a single sub I took. Didn't have enough to get a bunch to stack. Ill save that for this weekend hopefully.

M42_LIGHT_15s_1600iso_15c_01259stdev_201

Very good for your first DSO.

Even in single exposures like this there is a good amount you can do to make it a better image, make the bakground darker (but not totally black) and stretch a little to get out the nebula.

I did this in under 1 min, it of course looks total Rubbish because of stretching a jpg image, but shows you what can be easily done to make your image better.

99d9501e4b9cc3847426b269233baa07.1824x0_

Though I am chuffed by what I have managed with a 15 sec exposure, I think what gets me really worked up is the alignment that the mount provides. And once I can get polar alignment I can't wait to see how long of a sub I can get.

Archived