NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

think I need a bigger hard drive, 157gb of captures last night

I also think I need to upgrade my network to handle the transfers from the laptop

but really great night last night got some great Jupiter shots with the GRS early on then a transit later (need to check which moon)

then moved over to Mars and got some decent captures and finally Saturn, now I just need to process them

post-34443-0-67768100-1394637168.png

post-34443-0-63479200-1394637198.png

post-34443-0-99047000-1394637233_thumb.p

Nice pictures. Only just started getting detail in Jupiter, so looking forward to when Saturn comes along next month.

2TB external drives are getting reasonable now if you buy them from the right place.

If you get USB3 and both computers can handle it then transfer should be nice and quick.

Or if you don;t want to run on USB you could put in a new larger drive in the laptop, rebuild with required OS and software. When finished take drive out and stick in a caddy for the other computer.  Most modern laptops now only require a max of 6 screws to be removed for the whole HDD out ready to use elsewhere. Not as quick to work with buy then you know your data is nicely secure inside the laptop and not on some dangling external drive.

The other thing is that if you are using wireless then that is likely to be much slower than plugging in via an ethernet cable. Make sure both computers are on the same router / hub and the transfer should be much quicker.

Or if you don;t want to run on USB you could put in a new larger drive in the laptop, rebuild with required OS and software. When finished take drive out and stick in a caddy for the other computer.  Most modern laptops now only require a max of 6 screws to be removed for the whole HDD out ready to use elsewhere. Not as quick to work with buy then you know your data is nicely secure inside the laptop and not on some dangling external drive.

The other thing is that if you are using wireless then that is likely to be much slower than plugging in via an ethernet cable. Make sure both computers are on the same router / hub and the transfer should be much quicker.

already upgraded my laptop HD and memory specifically for astro photography, it only has my capture software on it and the control software eqmod etc,

I plan to upgrade my router and run a cat 6  cable strapped to my power line and run everything direct to my main PC

i managed to completely fill my hard drive in the field a few weeks back - took me a while to figure out what was going on.

probably not a bad idea to run them through PIPP to crop them and throw out the poor frames to save space.

yeah just running them through pipp then discarding the raw captures and deleting any poor quality ones just now

while I process the ones I have already sorted, but I have over 100 captures to sort & process

Oh and its clear skies again tonight (fingers crossed)

Archived