Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyTracker V2 latitude backlash/flex?

TractionMan

Finally got the chance to try my SkyTrackera couple of days ago. However when I had polar aligned it and was about to aim the camera, I noticed a bit of movement/flex/backlash despite having locked latitude properly. I was able to move it up and down 1-2mm, not sure if it's supposed to be like that or if I've got a faulty unit.

Here's a video clip to show you what I mean (about 35Mb):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k33q34djxjsu8ub/SkyTrackerFlex.mp4

Oh and the clouds rolled in before I got the chance to start imaging.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll watch the vid later as I am at work but if you're talking about movement after you've finished mounting your Dslr/ballhead, I can image you've got to fiddle with the lat. adjustment again before trying to lock the lat. adj.

I've had to do this a few times but its no big deal. With some practice it will be a non-issue.

Your lucky - my rotating azimuth section wobbles slightly against the rest of the mount and there seems to be no adjustment for that. Can't say it affects the imaging though, as the skytracker plus camera is so heavy that it just tends to sit where gravity dictates it should.

NigelM

Archived