NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Storing Nexstar 6SE

I'm unsure how best to store my telescope until I can buy a case for it. I've looked on the Celestron site but I don't really understand a few points below. I've looked on the forums here but can only find discussions regarding shed / garage / bedroom etc. I need to keep it on the mount until I can get a case for it but once I do is the info below telling me it's best to store it horizontally or upwards? Does keeping it on the mount not include keeping it on the tripod which suits me better for the time being?

I've orientated it downwards but it's not exactly flush with the base, it's about two inches away. I don't know what the clamp is that should be tightened, nor what wracking the mirror to the back of the tube means either.

Thanks for any help / advice as always.

Copied from Q&A from Celestron:

"Remove the SCT tube to store it separately from the single-arm mount. While your scope can be stored either horizontally or vertically, here are some points to keep in mind that may dictate your storage preference:

Orienting the tube upwards puts the least long-term stress on the focusing mechanism from the mirror’s weight.

If you keep the SE tube on the mount, a vertically downwards orientation with the cover flush against the base and clamp tightened puts the least long-term stress on the mount’s drive mechanism.

Racking the mirror all the way to the back of the tube (clockwise or near-focus) puts the least stress on the baffle-spindle that supports the mirror's weight."

I think they are talking more about long-term storage, if it's just between observing sessions (like a week or so) then it shouldn't make any difference.  The main thing to consider is if you have been out in some heavy dew and the scope is covered in water droplets, although dew inside the scope is not such a problem for SCTs it is still a good idea to tilt the scope facing downwards so that any dew that forms when you take it inside will run down the scope and not into it.  Put the caps on outside and keep them if you move the scope into a warm room to reduce the amount of condensation that attaches itself to the cold glass surfaces, the outside of the scope doesn't matter if it gets damp.

With the scope attached to the fork arm with the clamp tight (the little knob that clamps the dovetail bar to the fork arm, as you would when observing) you should be able to rotate the scope downwards by hand as the clutch will allow this, you can remove the fork arm from the tripod no worries if it makes storage easier for you, just be careful to place it on a stable flat surface somewhere where it won't be knocked over.

A good storage option is to start with the foam packing the scope arrived in if you still have that, and find a Very Useful Box that it will fit into.  You might want to find one that fits the scope attached to the fork arm.  Pack the sides with stiff foam (glue to the inside of the box if you like, or use double-sided tape to keep the foam panels in place).  This is probably the lightest and cheapest option.

Archived