EQ6 -> Pier / Tripod Adapter: What is required ?

John

I have an original EQ6 mount (black finish, no GOTO) which I would like to connect to Meade Giant Field tripod. The tripod hub has a central 12mm hole and also 6 M6 threaded holes equally spaced around the hub with a distance of 65mm from the M6 hole center to the centre of the hub. I believe this is the same fitting as a number of piers use as well.

I'll need an adapter to fit the base of the EQ6 and with the 6 holes in it to bolt it to the mount hub which, apart from the 6 + 1 holes, is flat. Can anyone help me identify something suitable or, if nothing off the shelf is available, where I might get something made up ?

The older design Altair Astro EQ6 pier adapter looks like it might do the trick but I don't know if the spacing of the 6 holes match my needs.

I've found a suggestion elsewhere on the web that the EQ6 tripod hub can be used, with the tripod legs removed, as a makeshift connector between the two. Apparently  you run an M12 bolt through the lot and into the bottom of the mount and that will clamp the whole lot in place. 

Can anyone confirm or otherwise that this could work as a temporary solution ?

That will work but you will need a method of preventing the EQ6 tripod head from rotating.  If you don't the azimuth bolts may rotate the tripod head rather than the mount which would, at the very least, be somewhat confusing when trying to polar align!

That will work but you will need a method of preventing the EQ6 tripod head from rotating.  If you don't the azimuth bolts may rotate the tripod head rather than the mount which would, at the very least, be somewhat confusing when trying to polar align!

Thanks Roger - I see what you mean !

Archived