Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which scope next

I recently bought a ZEQ25, initially to put my TV85 on. I love it - absolutely love it. The idea was I'd then move on my Porta II mount, with Argo Navis, but having spent a few nights using the ZEQ, I've realised there are going to be times that I will want the utter simplicity of an Alt Az mount (which I suppose I should always have known); the push-to capabilities are just a bonus.

Anyway, I've got two mounts, and just one scope (although I do also have a 10" dob) which seems a waste. So I feel the need for one more OTA.

My current thinking is to get something which could happily go on either mount, although I'll probably use the TV85 on the Porta II as it's such a wide field of view, tracking isn't that important most of the time. I've been wondering for a while now whether to get a 6" Newt, but on an EQ mount, they can be pretty awkward, unless it really is a doddle to loosen the cradles and rotate the tube. Equally, I've been wondering about a 6" SCT. That would give me much more focal length and would seem to be a good match with a goto EQ mount. Finally, what about something like a 120ED refractor? There is something about refractors I'm really beginning to appreciate and I imagine it would pull in significantly more light than my TV85. Not as much as a 6" SCT or Newt, but not far off either? No cool-down issues either and less prone to dew than an SCT.

Can anyone offer any advice?

How about an 8inch SCT?  It's fantastic on high magnification planetary views and still portable. You ofcourse need a dewshield and heater. But don't forget that a refractor needs a dew heater too on humid nights.

Then you've got the TV85 for widefield and the 10inch dob for DSO's.

I'm with Guillermo on this. An 8" is still compact enough to be an easy set-up, offers a ton more light than your TV, and your dob will still pull in half-again as much light as the SCT. To me, it's a logical step up.

Good luck.

I can see the benefits....plus all that extra focal length (at a price, I know). What about my lovely 2" eyepieces....would they work? I know I can get a 2" visual back, but if the opening isn't 2" then it would seem a bit pointless.

I'm actually erring towards a C6; it's lighter (so more portable), quicker cool-down time, cheaper and still enough extra aperture compared to the TV85. Nights here are few and far between, and I've read a few times that on nights of dodgy seeing, the C6 performs better. I've still got the 10" Dob with its lovely Orion Optics mirror for those good nights.

Archived