Planetary Viewing Scope Set-Up

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to stargazing, but fair to say I've become hooked! I've started with a very basic set-up (Celestron travel scope 70 with 20, 10 and 4mm EP's), which has allowed some good lunar and wider-field viewing, but is quite limited. I really want to get some higher-detail planetary viewing under my belt - observing Jupiter's bands/great red spot, Saturn's rings, etc.

With this in mind, can anyone recommend a particular scope/eyepiece set-up that will allow me to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm sure you will get a few recommendations, but it will be handy for those if you can give an idea on budget and any other requirements. Often storage space or having to carry the scope to a location to use can all have an impact on choice.

The wider the aperture the more detail you will see.

I managed to get. Dob 200p skywatcher the other night and love it as it gives the best of both worlds.

It's got a lot of bang for your buck and at £249 (what I paid new) it's a steal for what you get and what you can see.

But if you need to keep taking it out and about all the time then you may want something else.

Thanks all for responses so far. Budget would probably be around the £200-£300 mark - am I expecting too much at this budget range?

Thanks

I am no expert but £279 would get you a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P.  It will offer you decent aperture and @ f/5.9 should give your eyeball a decent view I would think.  Some nice quality plossl eyepieces later as you can afford them and I think the views would be very nice. 

My starter scope was a celestron travel scope too, I went for a Explorer 150p on the eq mount as I have a small garden, I needed the extra height to see objects over the garden fence & I wanted to have a go at astro photography.

I get good views of Jupiter with a 5mm eyepiece @ 150X mag, but recently I've brought a 127 mak, for planetary viewing & use the 150p for deep space work, as they both work well on the eq 3-2 mount.

I did think about getting the 150pl, as it sits half way between the 150p & the 127 mak, but was too big for me to store.

Just one extra point you may want to think about. You have said that you want a scope for planetary viewing.

Now as far as I am aware the visible planets that we can see, will only be visible for certain parts of the year. I'm sure someone can elaborate a bit more on the time scales, but you may want to consider other viewing options.

Archived