Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New VX mount

Woke up this afternoon (I'm temporarily on 3rd shift and get done at 7am) and there on the porch are 2 huge boxes. My new mount and OTA arrived! I was very surprised as the estimated arrival was next week sometime. The other items I ordered at the same time haven't come yet so I imagine that those are coming next week.

I am very impressed on the quality of everything. Every component is very well built and solid. I new this was going to be a larger mount and have watched a few videos on youtube with people assembling them but it looks huge sitting in my office!!!

I powered it up and slewed it around a bit and the motors sound really nice. Just like I imagined they would. They don't sound "cheap" as the motors in my SLT mount dol. Got the OTA attached and the counter weight and had no problem balancing it. 

Can't wait for it to warm up a bit more and get this baby out for a first run! This is my first cgem and I must admit that the whole idea of setting up and polar aligning it is a little daunting but the more I read on it and watch videos of it I think I will get the hang of it pretty quick. Although for what ever reason I didn't think it had a spot for a polar scope but it does so I will probably order one sometime this weekend. Sounds like they are invaluable for PA. Also I realized that the EP adapter on the OTA has a thread on it for a T-ring so no adapter is required. Could have saved myself a few bucks there but I'm sure somewhere down the line I will need one anyway.

So I'm sorry that this will probably bring more bad weather for the immediate future but just keep thinking spring!

Thats the same in the UK, formthe price of the mount on its own you can get a C6N on it cheaper in some places. I'll be getting one for an ED80.

Will buy the scope/mount combo and just sell the ota to help finance an expensive ED.

I can't wait to try it!!! I think the first couple of times out with the new mount I will stick to visual work and after I get the hang of aligning and polar aligning I will attach the camera. Might have to piggy back the camera though as the OTA and rings come with a nice little attachment screw.

Archived