Second hand 8" schmidt cassergrains?

The 8" sct has been a popular choice of scope for many years, as there are now many in circulation you will see them for sale quite regularly. They were often sold complete with fork mount and these will be more common than just the OTA. If you want a cheap one it may be worth looking for a scope with a dead mount and de forking the OTA. The optics on these closed tube design scopes can last for many years, I have an old Meade 10" f6.3 (LX6) and the mirror coatings still look as good as new. :smiley:       

Thanks for the replies. The one for sale us in Scotland and is pick up only. Shame, all the ones ive seen for sske are the wrong side of 500 notes.

Am I right in thinking that they are not as prone to colimation probs as Maks?

many thanks

Clive

To get the best results an sct does need accurately collimating, many sct owners report that, once done, they do hold collimation well. Having said that I will check mine every time it gets used as it's going on and of the mount and carried around in between    :wink2:     

Archived