NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on my first telescope

Hello all,

I'm a complete novice looking to get 'into' astronomy and have the money to finally buy a scope. Hence I'm looking for advice on what to get.

I've been reading quite a bit online but still a bit lost. I've a few hundred quid to spend and have been looking at the skywatcher scopes but not sure which route to go?

I would like to do some visual observations which lends to a dobsonion on price - say a Skyliner 200p

But also have a dslr so would also like to try some astrophotography as well, so thinking of a newtonian - say Explorer 150p on an eq3-2 mount or push it to an explorer 200p on a eq5 mount .

Not sure if I'd try photographing DSO or planets but would probably try out both at some point.

That said I've seen comments that neither of these mounts are heavy enough for dslrs and proper astrophotography. I probably can't afford to a goto mount at the moment. 

One point is that I plan to move to New Zeland in the near future as with it's dark skies (compared to crowded old blighty) and interesting objects in the sky so it seems a good time to start.

Down side it that it seem NZ telescope prices seem to are twice what they are in the UK hence I'm willing to spend a bit more for a telescope that is a bit more advanced or capable.

So any suggestions what to get, what to consider or things I've not yet thought of?

Cheers

Fulhair

Future proof! go for the Eq5 or HEQ5 mount then look at the OTA. The 200P would also give you better light grabbing than the 150P

I lived in Aus' for just over 4 years and prices there were much higher than the UK so I can well believe that NZ prices will be that much higher.

Lucky man, the southern skies are wonderfull with some great DSO's.

Also get a read of Make Every Photon Count, somewhat of a bible of astro photography.

BTW welcome to SGL.

Thanks for the advice.

So if I went for the Skywatcher Explorer 200p with an EQ5 mount, this would be a good foundation for starting visual and astrophotography?

As much as I might like I might like HEQ5 mount, I can't justify that much money and I can get the GOTO upgrade on the EQ5 for later on.

I see that First Light Optics have this as a package for £415 - So for that money is this the right route to go or could I get more bang for my buck via another route or better futureproof this set up?

Will also try your recomended reading.

Cheers

If you have enough time before going down under, consider checking out used equipment on astro sites such as here or AstroB&S.  

Sometimes you can pick up HEQ5 mounts (or complete with scopes) at very good prices. 

Interesting idea,

I've got a few months left here and not fussy about it being brand new equipment, (I've got some normal photography stuff second hand), just that I may not know a duff scope from a good one.

Also worried if I don't have the instructions. I saw a used 200p on ebay last week and was supprised the price it went for (more than a new one - but had several extras)

Do I need to do a number of posts here to get onto the buy and sell section of this site?

You need 50 posts to view the classifieds and 250 to post an advert.

Edit - I think it's actually 50 posts and a month's membership to view ads. 

Does much interesting/worthwhile stuff come up on the classified here?

I've spent most of the night taking a look at astrobuysell.com and fleabay but not sure of prices and quality.

Also to continue my dumb line of questioning....

Is the heq5 much better than the eq5.... i.e. what kind of difference should I expect?

And no motors, basic drive or a GOTO... What's worthwhile for a beginner such as myself?  I'm temped by a goto but then I always like buttons.

Usually the folks on AB&S are amateur astronomers themselves and have treated their stuff well.  I have not been disappointed.

Fleabay can be riskier.

Can't say for sure about classifieds here, but believe stuff is worthwhile.

If you are near enough to the vendor, then do cash on collection.

The HEQ5 is a heavier-duty version. EQ5 can take a 9kg load (half that for AP) and is a v solid mount, whereas the HEQ5 can take upto 18kg and is more robust again.

As to drives, bearing in mind your intended migration to NZ, only you can answer that in the final event. 

That's why I suggested used stuff because mounts often come more fully kitted out with dual drives and goto.

If you want to upgrade a non-driven mount with drives/goto, a single motor will cost near £100 and full goto will be £300-400.

Hope this helps more than hinders.

Does much interesting/worthwhile stuff come up on the classified here?

Yes, absolutely. You have people selling anything from small, individual items to whole set-ups. Some members offer items on here before they are advertised on ABS or elsewhere, so there are good deals to be had. 

The HEQ5 is a heavier-duty version. EQ5 can take a 9kg load (half that for AP) and is a v solid mount, whereas the HEQ5 can take upto 18kg and is more robust again.

As to drives, bearing in mind your intended migration to NZ, only you can answer that in the final event. 

That's why I suggested used stuff because mounts often come more fully kitted out with dual drives and goto.

If you want to upgrade a non-driven mount with drives/goto, a single motor will cost near £100 and full goto will be £300-400.

Thanks for the info. I really didn't state the question very well.

If I'm considering a 200p with a dslr mounted to the side, an EQ5 should suffice then? For the moment that's what I'm thinking of I realise that HEQ5 will be better but I'm wondering if it's a difference an amatuer like me would really notice?

What I was thinking on the motor mounts was that FLO have the 200p with the EQ5 for £415 - the syncscan GOTO upgrade is £300  The 200p EQ5 with GOTO package is £708 so not much difference.

The goto option looks 'postable' from the UK so I could delay making that call until after I leave.

Also probably my dumbest question so far, it there a difference for nothern and southern hemisphere set up? I was you-tubing telescope set up and the go on about Polaris quite a bit, which shouldn't be in view. Think there is no Southern equivalent so just wondering what to allign to?

Anyway you've pretty much sold me on going second hand - I'd better get started on theremaining  first 50 posts.  I've had a look and think that a local astro club is having a night next friday so will go an get time hands on and a chat wit more knowledgeable people than I!

The EQ5 won't be enough to do long exposure photography with a 200P Newtonian.

Even the HEQ5 Pro will be at it's limits. Most People who image with the 200P Newt, do so on a NEQ6 Pro Mount.

The 200P Newt is big and lumpy, a real wind sail!! Hence, why People use a NEQ6 Pro as minimum, as it's Heavy and strong enough to support the 200P Newt during average "windy" conditions.

You mix up the NEQ6 Pro With the HEQ5 Pro.

The HEQ5 Pro has a 14kg limit for Visual.  9 - 10kg for Photography.

That's why the 200P Newt is even pushing the limits of an HEQ5 Pro, as the OTA alone is already nearly 9kg in weight. And that during quiet Nights with no wind!  Hence, why a NEQ6 Pro is a recommended minimum for a 200P really.

You mix up the NEQ6 Pro With the HEQ5 Pro.

The HEQ5 Pro has a 14kg limit for Visual.  9 - 10kg for Photography.

That's why the 200P Newt is even pushing the limits of an HEQ5 Pro, as the OTA alone is already nearly 9kg in weight. And that during quiet Nights with no wind!  Hence, why a NEQ6 Pro is a recommended minimum for a 200P really.

Okay, I'm back to being confused.(told you it wouldn't take much).

So basically the 200p is a great OTA, but without a really sturdy mount (NEWT) I might as well take it sailing? Wellington is the second windiest city in the world so quiet night may be few a far between?

As this seems to be a popular package for the vendors to sell, the 200p and eq5 wouldn't be good for match?

Should I be looking at something smaller - say a 150p and a HEQ5 trying to better balance the mount and OTA.

Okay, I'm back to being confused.(told you it wouldn't take much).

So basically the 200p is a great OTA, but without a really sturdy mount (NEWT) I might as well take it sailing? Wellington is the second windiest city in the world so quiet night may be few a far between?

As this seems to be a popular package for the vendors to sell, the 200p and eq5 wouldn't be good for match?

Should I be looking at something smaller - say a 150p and a HEQ5 trying to better balance the mount and OTA.

The EQ5 can hold the 200P. For visual observation.

If the scope wobbles a bit during average windy conditions, then it's just a bit of inconvinience.

Long exposure photography is a complete different matter. Then you want a heavy sturdy mount that can hold the 200P rock solid in place, even during average windy conditions!

With the 200P being a windsail, I meant that it is a long heavy tube that catches a lot of wind. ;)

Deepsky (long exposure) photography has a very steep learning curve and can become a real money pit.

So why not just start out buying a good scope for visual observation ( like a 200P dobsonian ) and get into that first for a long while and enjoy it.

Such a dobsonian isn't expensive, especially second hand.

Then if you are interested in deepsky photography, you can save up for a good mount first, like a HEQ5 Pro.

A good starter scope would then be a 80ED refractor.

Archived