NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

weird stars..

Ive got a problem with a couple of my images.

The other night I got 40x60sec exposures of m45, with a dslr at iso 400.

The problem is, although ive got lots of nebulae, and it appears to be in focus, the very brightst stars have a big halo around them. One of them have such a big obvious halo that you can see the shape of my scope with the focusing tube poking in.

This isnt star bloat is it?

Am I not in focus? I used BYE to get the FWHM down and used betelgeuse to focus on.

Could it be colimation issues? The halo is dead centred around the star though..

Any ideas??

Thats exactly it! So i paid out for a camera that is no good as it is. Smashing. Now ive gotta get an external filter i guess, that or remove the glass altogether?

Ive got some uv filters that fit on the end of camera filters so i may test first by putting one in the imaging train somehow.

Thanks for your help!

Test first. Its just what I found, this only.manifested for me when I removed all the internal filters after messing up fitting the internal replacement and getting internal reflections. It may not be the answer.

Cheers

Ross

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, what filter do you use between camera and focuser? Didnt think that was do-able?

On my setup I have a 2" IR/UV filter screwed on the front of the coma corrector.  Thats what cured it.  Originally I had an IR only filter.  Got this effect from long exposures (after stretching) once UV was getting through.

Cheers

Ross

With the modded camera? I had similar and it turned out to be UV light as mine 450D is full spectrum modded. My filter didn't block UV light, only IR. Look familiar? http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/199640-i-can-see-the-scope-in-my-images/

Cheers

Ross

Who did your mod? I'm thinking about doing the same...

I would need a different CLS clip after isn't it and could I consider narrowband??

Who did your mod? I'm thinking about doing the same...

I would need a different CLS clip after isn't it and could I consider narrowband??

I modded it myself.  Spent a morning locked away and used Gary Honis' site to make the changes.  I originally bought a replacement filter but couldn't get it square in so ended up with internal reflections.  Decided in the end I wanted to play with narrow band, and the only thing the camera ever connected to was the scope so focusing lenses wasn't an issue, so I removed all the filters.  The coma corrector is rarely removed from the front of the camera so wasn't too worried about dust.  

I now use a 2" UHC and a baader UV/IR screwed on the front of the MPCC and all seems well.  I must get around to doingmore than thinking about narrow band.  But the clear nights are so rare at the moment I seem to spend a chunk of them looking at a pile of equipment and thinking "I'm sure this goes together somehow, I just can't remember how". 

Cheers

Ross

I modded it myself. Spent a morning locked away and used Gary Honis' site to make the changes. I originally bought a replacement filter but couldn't get it square in so ended up with internal reflections. Decided in the end I wanted to play with narrow band, and the only thing the camera ever connected to was the scope so focusing lenses wasn't an issue, so I removed all the filters. The coma corrector is rarely removed from the front of the camera so wasn't too worried about dust.

I now use a 2" UHC and a baader UV/IR screwed on the front of the MPCC and all seems well. I must get around to doingmore than thinking about narrow band. But the clear nights are so rare at the moment I seem to spend a chunk of them looking at a pile of equipment and thinking "I'm sure this goes together somehow, I just can't remember how".

Cheers

Ross

Lol. I know how that feels - I've actually written a file on how to setup my astro gear and every now and then I give myself the mental challenge to run through a setup before I fall asleep...

I have the CLS filter I used to use but swapped that to a UHC filter a while back.  Got fed up with fighting the colour cast.  I still plan to use it an unmodded camera for wide field but that something I will probably leave until its a little warmer for playing.  I need to work out how to nicely mount the camera to the scope or maybe get a dual bar? Not decided yet.

Cheers

Ross

Don't know if this is related at all, but I decided to get the cheap xBox webcam out last night.

Jupiter had that halo round it just like the image above, now that is the first time I have ever had that (only used it 3 or 4 times) so put it down to atmospherics.

Hmm, I have an unmodded 500d that I use and see if that does the same thing. I bought my 450d already modded, but I thought it was modded, turns out it's just got a single IR filter removed and replaced with something else that cuts out the IR a little less than the original. I thought I was buying an infrared camera basically. But nope!

Maybe I should rip it apart and pull out the whole lot? Is that a fairly easy process? Lots of little tiny screws from what instructions I've seen about..

Archived