SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

startravel versus evostar

If the additional weight, slight I expect, and length is not a problem then the Evostar.

Simply the focal ratio if longer so there should be less CA. A 120 f/5 (Star travel) I would expect to be pretty bad for  CA.

Have you seen one in the flesh ?

From other posts they are bigger then many expect.

Mention as a scope that is easy to grap, take up and set up is better then one which deters you from using. A small scope outside will show more then a large one inside. I suspect that the size is often what makes a scope a sort of "classic", and it is rarely the big ones that get to that.

The Evostar is a far better Scope than the Startravel. Startravel are very portable as holiday grab&og, but they suffer from bad CA.

But like Ronin said, the Evostar is longer and heavier than the Startravel. You need a decent Mount for it to support the Evostar 120. At least an EQ3 kind of Mount.

What kind of Mount do you have? Or do you intend to buy it as a package? Like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-120-eq3-2.html

PS. I just saw your other post and that you are interested in looking at planets!  Definitely recommend the Evostar over the Startravel for sure!

I have the Evostar 120 on an eq5 mount and I think it performs very well, especially on the planets, and the eq5 easily keeps the scope steady. I bought a Baader Fringe Killer with the scope to reduce colour fringing but to be honest I hardly ever find it necessary. Originally I would not have considered a Startravel owing to the colour fringing that comes with the f5 focal ratio, but these days I find myself wanting one for the good low power views that it's 600mm focal length allows. Both scopes have their place, but If I had to choose now the Evostar would still be the best all rounder of the two for me.

Another vote for the Evostar over the Startravel unless portability is a massive priority and you are happy to accept the limitations of the shorter design with regards to viewing the moon and planets where the chromatic aberration does get in the way. The Evostar 120 produces CA too of course but it's not as intrusive at F/8.3 as it is with the F/5 Startravel range.

I have had the Evostar 102 and the ST102 and, assuming the extra aperture doesn't alter tge comparison too much, I would recommend the Evostar as an all rounder or planetary scope.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Archived