Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10 Micron wifi + sky safari?

razor

Has anyone used the wifi on the 10 micron mounts?

I am interested in purchasing a 1000, and am interested in any experience or documentation in the wifi.

Specifically, does it join your router or create an ad hoc network.. Or both?

Has anyone used the 10 micron mounts with skysafari on ios? How did you have it configured? (Network ports, protocol etc)

I have an AP 130 GT, TSA 120, mallincam X2, and m4/3 camera that I would like to use to start imaging.

Would like to minimize PC use if possible when out in portable config.

Normally I'm on CN, but not as much info on the 10 microns there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a GM1000 HPS but did not buy the wifi option (not even sure it is available here).  I have connected directly using the Software Bisque The Sky X Pro (Mac OSX) and the LX200 protocol via wired ethernet and all seems to work fine and would suspect that Sky Safari would also work as it allows entry of IP address and port number for connection to the mount.

Do you intend to use it for visual or imaging?  If in the field I normally use a 12V wifi router and connect the mount with a patch cable.  This way the connection to the laptop can be wifi (however still have to have USB's for CCD etc.

all the best,

Nick

According the the documentation I have (Mount Protocol) the WiFi unit will join a network. The mount responds to a reasonable set of LX commands but cannot, due to LX protocol limitations, slew to full precision. I don't think that is a problem. 

There is also the PC-free alternative. Tonk uses a GM1000HPS, a DSLR and an interval timer. He does unguided imaging in the field and builds a quick pointing/tracking model by means of the handset. If you know your target it will be in the handset database, otherwise, just add it at home.

/per

Thanks for your prompt responses. I was considering an AP mach1 or 1100, but the cost and performance of the 10 micron seems much better with encoders.

I plan to use the mount mainly for imaging, video, some visual also.

If the LX protocol has slewing precision limitations, do you correcting for it visually/manually?

I believe I read it can also speak AP GTO protocol and possibly others.. could those be used for higher accuracy? Is portable use a concern due to the precision encoders and modeling? Does it have to be perfectly level?

I have a Astro Physics compatible rob miller TRI36L tripod (flat top), what kind of adapter would I need for the mount? (Scope is 17 lbs, imaging equip 15lbs max) I only saw adapters for sale compatible with 10micron bundle tripods.

What are the minimally required components to be ordered with the base 1000HPS?

Recommended United States dealer? Deep Space/Ed?

Much thanks

RR

Razor

Per,

Would love to know more about the LX200 protocol slewing limitations....... I thought LX200R high precision mode just caused the LX200 mount to stop at a nearby star for centering before slewing onto the target?

Razor,

I can't answer all your questions but I use the mount for portable with ease.  You will probably have to buy a pier adaptor plate and drill/tap holes to accept in the rob miller tripod top.

What components you need should be discussed with the dealer in the USA as the packages offered seem to vary slightly country to country.

Deep Space/Ed is the importer/distributor (I think) in the USA and if I was there, I would probably go to him.....

The 10 micron mounts are not for everyone but I have grown to love mine....

all the best

Nick

Based on Per's other posts from what I understand is that the Mount has an extensive set of commands which are not fully accessible over LX, same applies to the AP GTO protocol.

What kind of case are you using when you use it as a portable?

Basically, th emount supports modes and commands in excess of the LX200 protocol. Same with AP mode; 10Micron has extensions in place.

As for modeling the sky when portable, I would say that it is a non-issue. If you bring a laptop you use my Model Maker to automatically do a, say, 5-point alignment, after which you adjust the screws according to the instructions in the handpad. The next step is to clear the model (it is invalid as you have moved the mount screws, elevation and az by an unknown amount) and run a larger model. After that the rig is ready to go, and if you have a stiff setup with only consistent flexure, you can expect unguidied imaging until morning.

USer "Tonk" uses his GM1000HPS without a computer and does his modeling manually with the handset. He sports a short setup time and gets all his images unguided with a DSLR and an interval unit. He claims to never loose subs and I beleive him.

The GM1000 attaches to a flat surface by means of three M8 screws. Just take out your drill and do it ;) You need the pier adapter plate.

A word of advise is to consider using only high-end scopes on a mount of this calibre. The precision is rediculously high, and in order to make us of it - and get the unguided performance - the modeling of the sky needs to be good, which in turn requires a stable rig. I have been in contact with users that simply could not get a good model result with a "less than premium" refractor, one of which switched to a Takahashi FSQ106 and then got perfect results. So, no sloppy focusers, no cheap CCDs, no cheap filter wheels, no mirror flop, no VIxen bars and tripod on a steady surface.

Don't be put off by my pessimism ;) I have walked "the long road" with my two 10Micron mounts, written Model Maker in the process and have learned the tricks of successful unguided imaging with these babies.

/per

One more thing... If you suffer from "The dreaded meridian flip fear", try not to apply it to a 10Micron environment. The mount will flip really fast - the GM1000HPS up to 15°/s and the GM2000HPS up to 20°/s - and put the target right where it was before the flip. It will be dead center within a few pixels and you just go on imaging.

/per

Archived