Opinions on a starter scope

Hi there,

So, I've finally decided that I'd like to start looking at the heavens with a Telescope rather than with just my eyes, and I've been hunting around the Interweb for a good starter scope.

Taking into account several factors such as price, experience level, size & portability (I really don't have a lot of storage space), I've narrowed it down to 2 scopes that have caught my eye:

Orion StarMax 90mm TableTop Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

I'm leaning towards the Maksutov because of the increased focal length, despite its smaller size, but would love some advice from more experienced astronomers. I'm total beginner level, and at this point I'm looking to get some nice views of the moon, planets and hopefully some of the brighter Messiers and Nebulas (Andromeda, Orion etc). 

Thanks,

PS. Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong thread!

The refractor is f/4.3 and will have a fair amount of CA on anything that is bright (planets, moon and some stars).

The Mak is better in this respect.

Equally the Mak will have a narrow field of view so not quite as user friendly

The supplied 10mm eyepiece is likley to be towards the max magnification, should take a bit more but I would have prefered to see a 15mm or 12mm instead of the 10mm as an introduction eyepiece.

I am a bit puzzled, from the name(s) I would have expected a motor or two but can read nothing in the Orion details, description or specification. If there are no motors I would avoid, things will disappear out of view fairly quick. Without motors either must be a bit difficult to move the scope to follow anything. Check out details in case I am wrong and there are motors.

How about £30-40 more and the Heritage 90 at FLO ?

Similar scope and design (presumably) but it has a basic handset built in and a set of motors to track objects once you find them.

I have no idea on how good/bad they are so another post asking for people that have one may be worthwhile.

Hi there,

So, I've finally decided that I'd like to start looking at the heavens with a Telescope rather than with just my eyes, and I've been hunting around the Interweb for a good starter scope.

Taking into account several factors such as price, experience level, size & portability (I really don't have a lot of storage space), I've narrowed it down to 2 scopes that have caught my eye:

Orion StarMax 90mm TableTop Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

I'm leaning towards the Maksutov because of the increased focal length, despite its smaller size, but would love some advice from more experienced astronomers. I'm total beginner level, and at this point I'm looking to get some nice views of the moon, planets and hopefully some of the brighter Messiers and Nebulas (Andromeda, Orion etc). 

Thanks,

PS. Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong thread!

Jayded87........Hi, from your desire/want........Moon Planets....Andromeda, In the words of Roy Scheider, "Your gonna need something bigger" I don't think your present choices will give you the satisfaction you require.

In addition to the choice from ronin, my recommendation to you would be the heritage 130P.  a 5" telescope, and easy to store, and very simple to operate, with no critical set-up to worry about?  That said. I would also like you to look at the Skywatcher Skyliner Dobsonian. Check the 150P as a minimum size to purchase, the range does go higher.

Aperture is the most important feature you require for the DSO's (Deep Space Objects) like M31 Andromeda. You need oodles of aperture to capture the light. Andromeda is massive, but invisible unless your optics/aperture can collect enough light ?

I sympathise with any new person attempting to make sense of all the choices and prices that are available on the internet. The key to knowing what scope will best meet your expectations is to establish your own datum line through the experience of looking through some of the choices that are out there. The obvious way to do that is to participate in a couple of public observation nights typically organised by your local astro club or observing group in order to get your eye in on some of the scopes that are there for you to look through and of course to work out which one does it for you. The Schmidt Cassegrain or Maksutov designs are great performers but at around your budget, their size of aperture (determining the amount of light/detail that can be collected) along with their narrow field of view (long focal lengths, high 'F' numbers) make them best suited for observing solar system objects (moon and planets) or objects like double stars that are all intrinsically bright. Observing deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae is possible but the size of aperture will limit the amount of structure that you can see because these objects are so distant and faint and require apertures starting at around the 8" mark to begin to see them at their best.

At your budget, the best all round telescope will be the dobsonian newtonian design because most of the money goes into the mirror which will enable you to afford more aperture. When all is said and done, there isn't any rush to to spend your cash as the stars are going anywhere although I understand that your enthusiasm will demand ownership of a scope NOW! :grin:  :grin: . What is important is to make sense of all those 'specifications' you see and how they are going to relate to your expectations, hence my recommendation of going along to a couple of observation evenings to enjoy the views because that experience will better inform you of what to get than any of our suggestions. The other advantage of going along to these events is that it will give you an opportunity to see some of this kit up close (...you mention storage and portability in your considerations) and to also experience the benefit that reasonably priced eyepieces can make to the view. Although the eyepieces provided with the scopes these days are certainly better than the jam jars that they used to give you, this part of your equipment will represent the next part of your investment as your interests develop and making a note of what eyepieces you are looking through will certainly help you later on. Hope my comments help you in your journey.

Clear skies for now but don't hesitate to ask any further questions on this matter.

James

Thanks all for the prompt responses!

More than anything right now, i'd like to just familiarise myself with the sky - starting with objects in the Solar System, before working my way outwards. I had looked at the bigger Dobsonians as a possible upgrade for if (when) the bug bites, though for now they are just out of price range for me.

After looking at the suggestions above, I think the SkyWatcher Heritage 130p Flextube could be a good way to go - not too expensive, a decent mirror size and focal length. Should be enough to get started - thanks Laurie61.

And i'll definitely head down to Castle Point too, Astro Imp

Just had a look at that, thanks a lot - most other hobby-based communities are rarely so helpful!

This forum has long had a reputation for being one of the friendliest and most helpful around, you only have to ask a question and you will receive plenty of great advice.

Archived