NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mounting DSLR & lens on CG5 (vixen style plate)

mistuk

My poorly CG5-GT is about to go winging it's way to be serviced, but when (if) it returns I'd like to first try it out using a DSLR and lens. Could someone walk me through setting this up?

I've got a Vixen Style Photo Dovetail from Modern Astronomy, but when I screw this into the bottom of my camera it just won't stay tight and the camera ends up sliding along the dovetail- am I missing something here?

If I'm wanting to try this setup - how do I go about aligning the mount and setting the goto with the DSLR attached?

I'm using a Nikon D600 and I have live view, but it seems almost impossible to accurately align the stars to set the goto.

Again, I must be missing something!

Any help much appreciated!

Regards,

Kev

Hi Kev

I have a few thoughts first the photo dovetail is it the all metal one? if so it might work better with a thin layer of rubber/cork/felt i had a similar problem with a modified skywatcher one it needs some compliance.

I dont know the Nikon camera but you could fit a RDF to the hotshoe or try a right angled viewfinder (the eyecup helps with the image) failing that the only other option is a longer dovetail that can hold the camera and a finderscope.

Alan

yep bit of packing material needed. Do you need to set the GOTO???? with v field of view using DSLR and lens, its a matter of point and shoot, more or less :)

Remem you need to polar align but again not to a great degree is your using fairly short focal length lens.

I started out with my 600mm f4 on a cg5. All I did was screw a vixen dovetail on the tripod foot & slide it into the clamp. I never had a problem with it coming loose. As for aligning, I used the focus box in the centre to align a star through the view finder, or you could use live view. This was more than accurate enough for the focal length.

If you intend to do a lot of imaging with a camera on an EQ mount it might be worth getting a camera ball head and fix that to the dovetail, this gives you more freedom when framing shots the camera can end up in odd positions sometimes.

Alan

Archived