NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher default eyepiece improvement?

great_bear

Sky-Watcher scopes have traditionally come with the (slightly dubious) 10mm and 25mm "Super Wide" modified achromat eyepieces. However, it's clear from emadmoussa's advert here <click> that the 300P now comes with good quality plossls instead.

Is this true of all Sky-Watcher scopes now, or just the 300P?

I was quite surprised (and pleasantly too) when I got very reasonable eyepieces with my 300P. Both the 25mm and 10mm were obviously better quality than you get with the entry level scopes, and both very useable.

I guess SW are still pumping out the fiver eyepieces with smaller scopes though cos they are built to a price point. :)

I think it is a little bit of luck of the draw possibly and depending on model. Though I get the impression it seems perhaps a bit more common for the more expensive scopes and flextubes 10 inch and above to come with the super plossls, as well as a right angle finder scope in some cases.

Possibly why you pay the extra 100 pounds or more over the solid tube ( besides the added flextube mechanism) some more bonuses ? who knows.

I know of two members who bought a solid tube 10 inch dob around the same time as me  ( within a few months) they got the super MAs. I bought the flextube and got the super plossls. Perhaps I was lucky :D

FWIW, I gave the 10 inch super plossl a bit of a run one or two nights just to see what it was like. Apart from the tight eyerelief I did not find it too bad to be honest.

I think I can recall a similar query recently on this to which FLO responded that there was some inconsistency in what eyepieces are supplied so they tended to not raise expectations of anything better than the stock MA-type ones so that anything better comes as a pleasant surprise.

I think I can recall a similar query recently on this to which FLO responded that there was some inconsistency in what eyepieces are supplied so they tended to not raise expectations of anything better than the stock MA-type ones so that anything better comes as a pleasant surprise.

I remember that too :). My 250P was supplied with the MA eyepieces, they aren't too bad and the 10mm has decent enough eye relief, at about 12mm it's more than you'll get from a 10mm plossl.

Archived