NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

can I up upgrade my EQ 5 to take a heavier load

If you are imaging then you really need the HEQ5, the EQ5 is rated at max 9Kg but for imaging most stick to between 1/2 and 2/3 of that. Would mean 5-6Kg for imaging on the EQ5.

With that then the HEQ5 would be a good improvemnt, or should be a good improvement.

If you think about long exposure DSO imaging with the 200p Newt, then even a HEQ5 Pro will struggle tho. Especially with our nice average European "windy" weather. :-/

Large newts are wind sails.

PS. That´s why I myself bit the bullet and ordered the NEQ6 Pro today. So I am not limited in scope choice down the road.

thanks for the replys
I really wanted a better mount to start with but with a £1000 budget that included a camera for planets the HEQ was just too much
so I went for the EQ5 to get me started (It has that) figuring I could sell it and upgrade at a later date as the Synscan was compatable

A smaller scope may be an option I hadn't thought of, just for AP

looking into it more I feel I may need to upgrade to a 6 (wondering if the Mrs notices the difference)
as I really need a glide scope as well (the 9kg load isn't going to cut it)
looks like I may have to upgrade and sell my EQ5

on a side note I hate my finder scope (the mount in particular) I'd love to upgrade from the standard Skywatcher to a better mount and one able to use my ASI120 as an autoglide

any thoughts on that

may as well [removed word] the bank manager right off in one go :(

I got the HEQ5 Syntrek which was £110 less than the full Synscan version. I use my existing handset with the mount and sold the Syntrek on the forum here.

I have not seen the Skywatcher mounts with no controller at all though.

cheers

Archived