Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filters ND96-0.3 ND 96-0.6 ND96-0.9 over Moon

Now looking at filters.

Can someone explain the pros and cons against either of these filters as to when they can and ideally should be used.

ND96-0.3

ND 96-0.6

ND96-0.9

Moon & Skyglow Neodymium Planetary Filter

Hi Paul, the ND96-0.3 has 50% light transmission, the ND96-0.6 has 25% light transmission and the ND96-0.9 has 13% light transmission.  The (Baader) Neodymium filter has approx. 13% light transmission, like the ND96-0.9 fixed density filter.  I find I use the 0.9 the most, and sometimes the 0.6.

Using filters to view the Moon is a personal preference, some people use them (I do) some people prefer not to.  It depends whether you like your Moon filtered or not.  I find it a bit bright and to me when the brightness is not hitting you in the face you can see more detail.  i use them on all phases of the Moon but it is at its brightest between half and full Moon.  The Baader Neodymium filter I find is a good all-rounder.

Hi Paul, I think the Baader Neodymium filter is very good for a number of objects, though a bit expensive.  I suggest you try the ND96-0.3 first, but I find that one a bit of a 'lightweight' and tend not to use it. See how you get on.

Archived