NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASI120MM direct from ZWO?

Paul81

Just curious where UK based ASI120MM owners got their cameras from? A couple of websites list it as around £260, but direct from ZWO it is around £200 or so. Has anyone purchased direct from ZWO? I am maybe guessing time you have paid postage, import duty (?) and foreign currency conversion it pretty much comes to the same £260 ish?

i got mine last week at astrofest from thse guys http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5916_ASI120MM-SW-USB2-0-Kamera---abnehmbares-Objektiv---Planeten---Wetter---Deep-Sky---.html even managed a bit of a haggle with them.

but they are also on sale here http://www.365astronomy.com/zwo-asi120mm-monochrome-13-cmos-usb20-camera-with-autoguider-port-p-3537.html

i guess if you buy direct there might be tax to pay on top, but i do know quite a few have said that they have not had to pay it.

Someone bought one from ZWO about 8-12 weeks back and they were charged (if I recall) about £80 for the import. It was expected to be about £40, and again if I recall the HMRC site came out with just over £40.

Part of the "problem" is that some delivery routes mean that it gets here and the couriers charge the VAT+duty and they add on their own administration charge, which can be a substantial part.

I think that on the ZWO site you can specify the couriers and from past experience I would pick FedEx, in my dealing with them they seem to have fairly well sorted. However that was about 7 or 8 years ago. DHL was bad/poor and Royal Mail etc seem as bad.

Ultimately expect to pay, at least, about £40-45 on top so, that narrows the difference, although the £ is a little high against the $ so that helps you.

Thanks for the quick responses folks! You have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, so I reckon I'll order from 365. The TS price seems a little high. I saw them at Astrofest too - I am kicking myself now for not getting one!

I remember years ago buying something from Hong Kong and when I got the import bill it was shocking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived