Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet Another Newbie Question about what to get :)

Hi All So sorry for what i'm sure is a repetitive type post here but i've read a bit and i think i'm good to go. I was just hoping for some last minute advice from all you expertS! :hello1:

So long story short..

I used to do some astrophotography through an old friends 8" telescope back when i was in school and now that i'm an ancient 31 years old I want to get back into to. and of course i don't have a fortune to spend..

So this is what was thinking to interface with my Nikon D40 and d100

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ <or 100? or smaller then 130? bigger better right?>

Solar Filter for AstroMaster XXX

Tmount adapter for my camera..

I'm going to be doing mostly Moon/Sun and deepspace shots.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated it and I PROMISE to become an active member of the boards and share all my photos!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Colin

here is one of my recent shots with my d40 and 55-200vr lens 1/340th and cropped :D

2213856186_0be05bb386_o.jpg

Hi. Colin. The Astromaster 130 EQ Should be quite adequate as a partner for your DSLR. In as much as Lunar imagery, and Solar of course with adequate filtering. With your experience, filters for Solar work are known to you.

I don't know if the mount for that scope is equipped with RA and Declination motors, to enable tracking and guiding for deep sky images.

You don't need me to tell you the requirements for long exposure guiding.

DSLR cameras are proving their worth among astrophotographers, and some very superb results haave been achieved with them.

I believe there are some issues when trying to capture certain types of image, as regards the filters in the DSLR's, and in some cases, modification to the cameras may be required. Perhaps you may want to delve into webcam imaging. Some great stuff has been produced by these wonderful little cameras too. Being cheap and cheerful, they do appeal to a lot of imagers.

My limitations may begin to show if I go on too much. so I will make way for more experienced members to help you further as regards the imaging aspects of astronomy.

Welcome again to SGL Colin. And I hope you have a great time with us.

Ron. :D

PS. That's a very nice shot of the full moon by the way. Some great stuff can be imaged in the sky using run of the mill camera lenses.

I am sure you have taken loads of them in your SLR days. :D

Hi Barkis,

Thanks for the response! i thought that might be a good scope to get back into the fun of things but wasn't 100% sure since i found it for under $200 and that made me a little weary(i assume i can't say where) It does not come with the RA and Declination motors but i found some kits designed for it that go for about 30-50$ that sound reasonable or far fetched? Is it ok if i post some various links to all the items i plan on getting ? I also used to do a lot of IR photography(not astroIR) so i can show some links to those too if anyone cares i got some still online(i used to use HIE and konica 750(no longer made :D but i got still 5 rolls expired from 2001 haha) as for the camera mods i've read somewhere they have IR and UV sensitivity issues but i'll find that out soon enuff.

so i definitely will need some kind of ra/declination tracking

Colin,

It seems as though you got your scope for a bargain price. If you can just get some low cost drive motors for it, you will have a chance of getting some DSO's with your D40 Nikon.

We have a Non Astro Section, in which there is place to put Non Astro Photographs. So if you have some pics you think would be interesting for members to see, you can post them in there if you wish.

Cheers.

Colin,

It seems as though you got your scope for a bargain price. If you can just get some low cost drive motors for it, you will have a chance of getting some DSO's with your D40 Nikon.

We have a Non Astro Section, in which there is place to put Non Astro Photographs. So if you have some pics you think would be interesting for members to see, you can post them in there if you wish.

Cheers.

DSO.... deep space object? :D

i found a drive motor designed for it for $40... that seem reasonable.. actually ordering the scope on monday(my birthday) so if anyone has any last minute suggestions let me know!

I'm checking the webcam thing you mentioned as well and i found some mac software to make it all happen , going to get a webcame and adapter as well

thanks

COlin!

Question for you guys...

I'm pretty set on the one i mentioned above.. but for around 150-200 more i can get the Celestron NexStar 130 SLT which seems to be to be a little better but i'm not really sure... anyone have some advice on the differences between the two?

so it looks like a goto scope's only difference is in theory it makes it easier to find stuff?

Yep, and the question is always asked, "Goto or not Goto.

Personally, I would rather spend the extra money on larger optics, but that is a personal choice.

The Goto scopes are a boon to those who find it difficult locate objects by the star hopping method, and would rather spend time looking AT the object, and not looking FOR the object.

A lot will depend on the temperature outside, the temperature of the area the scope has been stored. The mirror mass would also have a bearing were it of a large diameter and thickness. In the case of a 130mm diameter mirror, The time to reach ambient temperature would be no longer than an hour, and probably less depending as I say, on the difference to start with.

It is always sensible to allow a period of equalization of temperatures, a mirror in the process of cooling, will not perform as well as one that has stabilized.

Ron.

Well, it really goes without saying, that of all the issues that confront the astro imager, accurate focusing has to be the killer.

There is the software approach to it. There are more qualified members here on SGL that could address this issue for you.

I have been making preparations for a long time to get into digital imaging, and I'm sure some on the forum are beginning to wonder if it will ever happen. It will soon now. One of the software packages I bought is Maxim DL CCD, which now incorporates MaxDSLR, control software.

This is available as a separate package. Also I have considered DSLRFocus, But I don't know, none of this stuff is cheap, and my wife's getting fed up of me spending all this money, and not a picture to show for it. And let's face it. there are no guarantees in this game, no matter how much you spend.

In your case, perhaps a flip mirror might be a good buy. Move a mirror into the light path for focusing, then divert it to the camera when focused. Has to be parfocal of course.

Cheers.

Ron.

yeah i got the added fun of being a mac user :D

i found this http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1044 over at cloudy nights for mac specific software with webcams and such(gonna pick up a cheapo firewire one) its a bit outdated but it should work.... looking through all the software now i do know my d40 has a very good screen.. so we'll see if need somthing else.. reports to follow in the next 7 days or so(scope should be arriving between wed and friday this week)

Archived