NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Counterweight

enigma

It depends if there's a ridge in the hole on the inside of the weight from a CG5/EQ5. If there is one then no they won't fit cos the diameter is made too narrow - I just checked the Skytee-2 weight bar with a SW 5kg weight. Some weights don't have a ridge in the hole and use a plastic shouldered insert to vary the diameter for different bars - they are ok with the plastic insert removed.

I believe the smaller "barrel" shaped weights from an EQ4 will fit - but you'd have to confirm that. To be honest the standard "dumbell" shaped weights off the EQ5, though recommended by SW, are fine on the horizontal bar, but totally useless when the bar is under the top saddle cos they clash with the mount and axis knobs. Just not appropriately sized.

After much frustration I bought some smaller weights from a car boot and had them drilled out to fit the bar and resprayed in S/W white paint. My top saddle now takes a Meg72 (weighty frac) nicely balanced with non clashing weights. I just don't think S/W make "slim" weights for slinging underneath - couldn't find them anywhere. Hth :)

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a 5kg counterweight from a CG5-GT mount on the SkyTee2 counterweight bar and it seems to fit fine. The counterweight has a central hole of 20mm and looks like the larger one in the photo here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/counterweights/skywatcher-counterweight.html. I understand that this will only work when the bar is placed horizontally on the SkyTee2 and not vertically, but I suppose an optical tube that requires a counterweight will be placed horizontally anyway.

I don't have experience with the Skytee but the Giro mounts have a 20mm diameter counterweight shaft as does the Astrotrac.

So if you need small diameter counterweights the Astrotrac ones might be suitable.  www.astromann.de also sells 'V2A' stainless counterweights of 1, 1.5, 1.8, 2 and 2.5 kg - outside diameters vary - 55, 60 or 70mm - all to fit onto a 20mm shaft;  see:  http://www.astromann.de/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=gegengewicht

Archived