NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5L-II as an all-sky camera

I'm currently converting my QHY5L-II (colour) camera for all-sky use, to monitor cloud cover and (hopefully) to record meteors. To that end I've attached a CS-mount 180deg f/2 fish-eye lens, and (when it arrrives) will be using an optical acrylic dome to make a weatherproof casing. It will then be permanently mounted outside my obs. I'm still casting around for options on software for data capture, for the vid below I tried HandyAVI and its Meteor Record configuration. I think it was designed for use with a sensitive video camera (Wacom etc) rather than the QHY5 eyepiece camera, but I gave it a go anyway. There was no option for subtracting a dark frame so not possible to get rid of hot pixels or noise, and because of that I'll be looking for something else to record with. The vid below is a series of 2sec exposures strung together to make an AVI and tonight there was a fat moon which lit everything up and swamped all but the brightest stars (and Jupiter). I don't think focus is quite right either, and this is definitely not the final position for the camera because I just plonked it on top of my camera tripod a few feet outside the obs door. YouTube also seems to have mangled the video quality, even viewed at 720p it's not as good as the original. Embedded here it looks even worse!

ChrisH

Thanks. Fish-eye lens is from Modern Astronomy http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasGuider.html#guiding_accessories although sold as part of the 'premium upgrade pack' you can buy just the lens if you ask. I also uploaded a version to Photobucket which doesn't look quite so mangled as the YouTube version, still not as good as the original though http://s970.photobucket.com/user/ChrisLX200/media/Videos/MeteorDetect2_zps3626af92.mp4.html

ChrisH

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly completed making the weather-proof casing for my all-sky camera. The casing will be sealed and the lower part filled with silica gel, which will also contain a heater (a 12v anti-dew strap) to keep dew off the dome as much as possible. I bought the clear dome of course, it is sold as a spare part for a commercial all-sky camera. Hope the birds keep off it!

IMG_0234_zpsd5049782.jpg

ChrisH

• 1 year later...

Chris, your video looks great. I'm trying to set up something similar, but fish-eye I've got is the Fujinon CCTV Lens YV2.2x1.4A-2. and my case is a piece of Sewer pipe.

I cant seem to get images anything like as good as yours.

Managed to use VirtualDub & Logoaway to remove the dead pixels.

What settings did you use for HandyAVI?

2 hours ago, Albie said:

Chris, your video looks great. I'm trying to set up something similar, but fish-eye I've got is the Fujinon CCTV Lens YV2.2x1.4A-2. and my case is a piece of Sewer pipe.

I cant seem to get images anything like as good as yours.

Managed to use VirtualDub & Logoaway to remove the dead pixels.

What settings did you use for HandyAVI?

I started a newer thread with an updated version of this camera

The lens quality varies from awful to good depending which you use, I've found those sold by Bern @ Modern Astronomy (both the 1.8mm fisheye and 2.1mm 150deg lenses) to be 'good' quality. I've got a drawer full of lenses of which the majority fall into the 'awful' catagory!

I stopped using HandyAVI because the software author would not implement dark frame subtraction (after saying he would over a year ago). Instead I use FireCapture which works very well.

ChrisH

Archived