NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon too large in wxAstro capture

Super Hans

I'm sure someone will tell me that the answer is glaringly obvious, but I'm stumped lol. I'm using an 80mm refractor (focal length 400m if that's important), and with a 25mm lens I can see the whole of the moon and the surrounding sky, but when I fit my webcam straight into the diagonal and open wxAstro capture I can't fit the whole moon into the frame?? The attached picture is one I took tonight and I could only get about half the moon in shot.

The chip is 640X480 if that matters.

The quality isn't amazing so I'm planning on getter a better cam, but for the life of me I can't work out what I'm doing wrong, so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. post-34827-0-97093600-1392150120_thumb.p

Your webcam is picking up a certain focal point within the scope as it replaces the EP.

Now someone who actually knows about this will tell you how to get over it. I suspect that you need some for of glass (lens) in there to reduce the image size to allow you to get a smaller image on the sensor.

I had the same thing
looked at the moon with my 25mm in and had it nicely in full view with a bit of space around the edge
dropped my camera in and I could only see a small part of the moon

my new camera (600D) should solve this issue as it has a much larger sensor area

post-34443-0-34410900-1392152803.png

Archived