NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newb Lunar Imaging

rodhull

Hello folks!

Just got my first DSLR at Christmas and I've been playing about with some basic lunar imaging. I use a Canon 1100D attached with T-ring to my Skyliner 200p Dob. Photos have been processed using either Gimp or Rawtherapee.

Here's my latest attempt taken at around 4.30pm a few evenings ago (hence the colour) - it's been processed from the RAW image:

IMG 0574 100

Here's the original (just the RAW which has been converted to JPG with no tweaks) You can see how blue the sky was but I tweaked things a fair bit and cropped heavily in the final image to bring out the most detail:

IMG 0574 orig

Here's my first ever "proper" lunar photo taken earlier in the year the day my T-ring arrived in the post - which turned out quite well:

IMG 0313 curves plus UM

Looking forward to the weekend when it'll be full and I'll attempt a nice contrasty full disk. With this setup it's impossible to get any more magnification - I understand a barlow could be employed somewhere and I have one for my visual observing, but not sure it's possible to combine it seeing as I have removed my 1.25" eyepiece barrel to get the T-ring attached to the focuser. Am I right, and does anyone have any more tips with this setup?

Thanks! Yeah, it's looking pretty ropey to be honest...

Just discovered from reading around that apparently my zoom eyepiece (Seben 8-24mm) apparently has a T-thread under the eyecup - might try attaching the T-ring straight onto this and seeing what the images look like this way - probably not going to be as sharp but I'd be able to get some decent magnification - clear skies please!

Does anyone else take lunar images this way with a DSLR (I believe it's called eyepiece projection)? Can the results be better than straight prime focus?

Archived