The Big Newt

Stu

Cracking specs on that Stu. What's not to like about that set up? Lurvely!! Although a dob base would perfect it :wink:

Well with quite a few kit sales going through, I have ordered a few bits to try to 'finalist' my kit if such a thing is possible.

An OO Dob base has been ordered, and should be with me next week I hope. I've also ordered a Moonlite for the AT106 having decided to keep that.

Will report back once assembled and working. I need to sort my collimation out again having also fitted the replacement tensioning bolt to the secondary. All good practice I guess!

Stu

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 16.6% obstruction is tiny !

I thought my old Intes Mak-Newt had a tiny secondary at 19% of primary diameter. F/6 is quite forgiving to keep in collimation too. Superb specs for lunar and planetary viewing  :smiley:

My OO 12" is F/5.3 and has a 21% obstruction with a 1/9th wave PV primary and I've been really impressed with the details it's shown on the moon and planets under decent seeing conditions. Check out that rille that runs up the Alpine Valley for example !

Thanks John. Yes, it should be pretty good and from the couple of sessions I've had so far it gives lovely planetary detail even with very rough collimation. Not had a good go at the moon yet but once I get the dob base I'll hopefully start to use it regularly.

This secondary is 50mm and apparently is enough to fully illuminate a 1.25" ep but will vignette on 2" ones. Can't say I've noticed, but I've also got a 60mm one which came with it which will not vignette on 2". I believe Laurie61 has a 57mm which may well be optimum as a balance between the two ie the smallest which will still handle 2".

At some point over the summer I will flock it and hopefully add a Protostar curved secondary, should be fairly spectacular then :-).

Cheers,

Stu

Orion Optics stuff here take forever to get.

Alan.[/quoe)

Dr...actually no. I just bought a Orion Optics VX8L. The wait time is 3 weeks, well worth the wait for a 1/10 wave scope.

Alan is in Bulgaria.

Archived