Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

if its not the cloud its the blumming wind

just after sundown the cloud started to break  with large patches of clear sky
so I got the scope out and set it up, but as I did so the wind was starting to get blustery

tuned everything in and set up to try for some shots of jupiter

but when I set up the camera and got the image on the screen it was dancing about

due to the scope getting buffeted by the blumming wind which was getting stronger
just as I had some really clear views of Orion as I was hoping to get a look at M42

I did find it but by the time I got it centred the cloud was coming over so couldn't see much
I'm seriously thinking of building a movable screen that I can move to block the wind

I finally gave up as the wind was getting up to almost 20mph making any clear gaps in the clouds

useless as the scope would not stay steady enough to get any decent viewing never mind any captures

so blumming frustrating  :sad: 

My bit of decking right outside the back door is reasonably sheltered as it's low down. However the wind still sweeps around, so you will need a big screen and then you have to anchor it down somehow.

The best we can hope for for the immediate future is being lucky to observe, I think any imaging may be well out of the question.

Hopefully if the weather forecasts are accurate I have a big window tomorrow from sundown till 11pm

and the wind speed is down to a manageable 4 - 6 mph

as for a screen I'm thinking on a wire frame 8' x 8' with two concrete blocks like the ones used for temporary barriers

and a canvas screen to  cover it
my back garden isn't very good as its north facing and my house takes out about 58 deg of the southern sky

and as I stay in a dip to the north I can only see down to 40 deg above the horizon
I plan to deck a part of my front garden (south facing) with everything above 10 deg above the horizon

I really want to get away to Galloway forest dark sky sites if we get good weather
so I can see what my setup is capable of, as I'm in a bad light pollution area where even seeing Orion isn't easy
I can see the the main stars and the belt but not much more, M42 is hard to find with the spotter scope due to me having a load of

sodium lights in my FOV and a full blown retail / call centre industrial park directly to my south

which is a pity as when I moved here 27 years ago the southern sky was full of stars I can't see now

Just one warning, if you put decking in then expect wobbly views as the floor will then flex if not move about with every step.

yes I understand that

but I plan to build a stable platform by putting in some foundations and slab it off then put the decking in

on top of that to make it more stable a platform to work off rather than the grass I have now

where things change if the ground is wet

yes I understand that

but I plan to build a stable platform by putting in some foundations and slab it off then put the decking in

on top of that to make it more stable a platform to work off rather than the grass I have now

where things change if the ground is wet

Observing with your mount on decking is a pain. Even if you slab the area and put the joists on the slabs ,the boards will still flex too much to get decent views

best thing would be to slab the area and put your mount onto the slabs 

What would be useful is if you could work out for sure exactly where you would put the scope the concrete level a foot plate for the scope.

Decking especially made for the scope, nice flexible decking to walk on and a non movable stand for the scope.

I've had my first chance to use my very first telescope tonight .. Only for 1/2 hour but a damm great 1/2 hour .. All was going well till clouds came over .. Oh well it was fun for abit !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to have holes in the decking so the scope sits on the slab base
this will insulate the base from the decking used to walk on

and also plan to make the mount drop into fixed points to ensure correct alignment every time (or as close as I can)

You can counter wind effect on the scope itself using wind breaks if you can be bothered to set them up. 

I think there are even circular roofless tents you can buy as light and wind shields for observing.

The best thing to do really is find the best places in your garden that are shielded from wind and light and set up there.

Just be thankful that all you have to worry about is wind and clouds.  Some people are battling with knee high water in their houses with all the flooding at the moment.  I can't get upset at the wind/clouds at the moment when there is so much crisis elsewhere.  (Not a guilt trip or making a poke, just a personal expression).

as I've mentioned before unfortunately my back garden is practically of no use due to my house blocking the skykine
my front garden is wide open so unless the wind is from the north I'm exposed to it

so I think some sort of removable wind shield is in order

Archived