NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Xbox 360 webcam

trussan

Hi, this is my first post (probably should have introduced myself elsewhere but I guess this'll do...)

I'm Tom and I recently modified my Xbox 360 webcam to use with my Skywatcher Heritage 130p.

Photo09-02-2014211444.jpg

Unfortunately when testing it on the moon tonight the image I get is really out of focus no matter how far in or out the focuser is.

BTV001.jpg

I can get the cam to focus when I tested it in the daylight on a tree (slightly closer than the moon :tongue: ). Can anyone explain why or help in any way? I'd like to be able to get it working and see what kind of images I can get.

Any help would be appreciated  :smiley:

Thanks!

Are you using SharpCap? If so make sure none of the settings are on Auto.

If you can focus in daylight then you should be able to focus on the moon.

What I find is that with my 20mm EP I spot the moon and focus with that first, then place the cam in and the focus point is actually very neat to the EP.

I'm Tom and I recently modified my Xbox 360 webcam to use with my Skywatcher Heritage 130p.

Unfortunately when testing it on the moon tonight the image I get is really out of focus no matter how far in or out the focuser is.

I can get the cam to focus when I tested it in the daylight on a tree (slightly closer than the moon :tongue: ). Can anyone explain why or help in any way?

Hi Tom and welcome to SGL membership!

The answer to your question is that you are not able to get the sensor of your webcam inwards enough to reach the primary mirror focal point. By adding the Barlow you have lengthened the effective focal length and placed the prime focus further out so you were then able to focus (with twice the magnification of course). However with the Heritage 130p you could try pushing the truss rods back a bit (start off with about an inch for instance) and see if you can achieve focus. Good luck!

I've just been reading the Heritage 130p manual. Sky-Watcher calls the truss rods 'the sliders'. You'll need to unscrew the 'slider lock screws' push the secondary tube ring back towards the primary and try to do so equally on each 'slider' or you'll lose collimation.

Hi Tom and welcome to SGL membership!

The answer to your question is that you are not able to get the sensor of your webcam inwards enough to reach the primary mirror focal point. By adding the Barlow you have lengthened the effective focal length and placed the prime focus further out so you were then able to focus (with twice the magnification of course). However with the Heritage 130p you could try pushing the truss rods back a bit (start off with about an inch for instance) and see if you can achieve focus. Good luck!

Thank you! Good to know there's a proper reason behind it and it wasn't just me being stupid.

Archived