NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skymax 127 on AZ goto or EQ3-2 go to?

Well another session of internet trawling in an attempt to try to work out which scope to buy has thrown up question.

The Skymax 127 is available on both an AZ and EQ3-2 goto mounts, does the EQ mount offer much more over the AZ mount for general visual viewing?

Also is the scope different? The version on the EQ3 is called a "black diamond" and is fitted with a red dot finder rather than a 6x30 finder scope, are there any other differences?

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

If you are you only interested in Visual, then go for the AZ Mount. It's less hassle to set up.

Even if you are interested in webcam planetary astrophotography. It can be done on both Mounts.

You would only need an EQ Mount if you are interested in long exposure DSO photography, which either Mount isn't really suited for anyway.

If your main use will be visual observing then I'd go for the AZ mount. It's smaller, lighter and very easy to set up. You don't have the fuss of polar alignment.

The SkyMax 127 tube is exactly the same on both, so there would be no difference in what you can see. Personally, I prefer the regular 6x30 finderscope to a red dot finder, both of which are inferior to a Telrad or Rigel finder. I'd guess that calling one model a "Black Diamond" is just a marketing ploy.

The 127 is a long focal length, slow f-ratio scope ideal for viewing or imaging planets. You can look at dso's with it too even though the aperture is quite small for gathering light from faint, distant, objects.

It wouldn't be an ideal tool for dso imaging - you'd use a completely different type of scope for that with a much faster f-ratio. The "Black Diamond" designation is just the latest model and livery - the older ones are blue and there are differences in the optics.

If you want "goto" capability then the choice is obvious - but if you wanted to learn more about the night sky, the Earth's movement relative to it, polar alignment, and finding things up there for yourself - I would choose the equatorial mount without the "goto" and maybe add an RA tracking motor for convenience.

But as far as stability is concerned, both mount/tripod combinations are entry level and both have similar instability issues. Just my opinion but you could buy the OTA only brand new, then look for a second hand EQ5 or CG5 (with or without goto) for a much more stable, flexible, and upgrade'able mount/tripod. I've been through all these mounts and believe me you'll save money in the long run.

You'll get a very good manual EQ5/CG5 for around £100-£120 under two yrs old which has the flexibility of future motor upgrades (and/or goto). It will also take other larger reflector/refractor/cassegraine OTA's up to 8" with ease, and give the option of dso imaging, with no need to buy another tripod/mount. Neither of the two mount/tripod combos you mention are really upgrade'able meaningfully if you get "bitten buy the bug" and want to take the hobby more seriously.

Hope that helps. :)

Archived