NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 2-8-14 and questions

Out after work at around 1:00am trying to get some images of the moon. Ended up getting a decent image but it was a trial image for a tip I have heard from numerous people.

I imaged the moon with just the Starshoot 5MP and then put it in a 2x barlow and refocused and then slewed over to Jupiter.

My tweaking of the camera settings still need some work but I feel like my results are getting better. I feel like I can do more though. I just think that I could get a bit more detail with what I have. 

This was taken with my 130SLT and my Orion Starshoot 5MP solar system imager with a 2x barlow. The avi was right around 2000 frames. I can't say for sure what exactly the frame rate is as during the imaging it fluctuated between about 25fps to around 3fps. I have not found anything that lets me manually set the frame rate. Seems like the it changes on its own as I'm taking the avi. I think it is due mostly to the laptop running slowly. Resolution was 640x480. 

I'm pretty sure that collimation was very good as before I put the imager into the focuser I had the classic "defocused doughnut". After imaging I used a 9mm EP with the 2x barlow and had some nice views at 144x mag.

My questions are these:

Is there a way I can figure out what kind of magnification I am getting from the imager alone as well as what I'm getting with the barlow?

Also, I know the SLT is a smaller scope and I am pushing the limit of what I can get image wise, but would it be worth looking into a decent 3x barlow?  

I'm pretty happy with what images I have been getting so far but I think I could squeeze out a bit more detail.

Jupiter1-31-14-1.jpg

If you are taking 'avi' then SharpCap2 will allow you to fix/set fps.

Then you need to start working on your 'avi', basically process it in Registax6 and tweak the wavelet + colour setting to get the details out.

However there are more bits of software and steps that will give you even more detail in the final image (PIPP, Castrate, Autostakkert, Registax, and PS or Gimp)

I only have a $20 webcam but with post capture efforts I came up with this, that I am also looking to improve.

My avi was 2000 frames @ 640x480, tweaked, staked, and wavelet worked in RegiStax6.

My video was Rubbish, but it is possible to drag details out for a final not so good image.

post-34135-0-47846900-1392065431.png

Archived