NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Do you believe this? Top Israeli Scientist Says Alien Life May Have Existed 13 Billion Years Ago?

sammilk

Just stumbled this story, sounds interesting, but I doubt the truth of some of the facts:

Top Israeli Scientist Says Alien Life May Have Existed 13 Billion Years Ago

Life first evolved on planet earth some 3.8 billion years ago, but Loeb’s paper suggests that it could’ve evolved elsewhere in the universe approx. 10 billion years earlier. Loeb points out that after the big bang, the universe was flooded with superheated cosmic microwave background radiation (or CMB). This radiation gradually cooled to its current temperature of minus 270 degrees Celsius. However, about 15 million years after the big bang, this radiation’s temperature was between 0 and 100 degrees.

http://nocamels.com/2014/02/top-israeli-scientist-says-alien-life-may-have-existed-13-billion-years-ago/

What do you think??

The linked article won't load for me, so here's another, which also includes a link to the original paper.

It's certainly an interesting idea, but was there a suitable environment that early in the history of the universe? That doesn't give long for heavier elements to form and coalesce into planetoids.

I would doubt it. The first stars have to form then go nova to create the necessary elements for life. One of the early stars going bang wouldn't create a dense enough cloud of elements with the remainder of the general hydrogen around. I would suspect you need several in one region. That means more time.

Then this resulting cloud would have to cool to a dense enough cloud and the next star form from that, then a planetary system needs to form and stabilise. Life is not on a star it is on the planetary system around that star.

The early stars were big and energetic, so lots of radiation flying about, that doesn't do much for life to get going, also no planets were possible - the universe was made of hydrogen basically.

Sure that I have read that we are a third generation star, so if we are typical, and we are all that we have as fact, that means that for sufficent heavy elements to form the first stars have to go and then the next generation need to form and they have to go nova. These second stars will live longer before they go nova. Our sun formed 4.5 to 5 billion years back and this so far is where we know of the only life. So this one known instance of life took about 9 billion years to occur.

I suspect that the criteria for life is hugely more complex then count the number of stars and apply a simple factor. It appears that besides a goldilock zone of a planet around a star there is a goldilocks zone for a star in the Milky Way. That alone could wipe out 70-80% (or more) of everything we see.

I find it more absurd that some people still think we are alone in the entire universe... if people could comprehend the sheer size of the observable universe, not only would they be much kinder to each other considering as far as we know so far, we may be alone, but also that the possibility of 'other life' is fairly reasonable. That's what I love about science, that it doesn't discount anything, but it strives for evidence and a lack of evidence doesn't automatically imply a lack of existence (in this case, of life elsewhere in the universe). I'm no expert, but I realise that science is always forming and reforming, chopping and developing theories and ideas. It wasn't that long ago I read a paper on the formation of black holes and how earlier theories are being proven 'wrong' (for want of a better word).

I don't necessarily believe one way or another that we are not alone; I'm waiting to see it for myself, for the evidence to come to light. But I do believe that we don't know everything about the observable universe yet, never mind what lies beyond, so until we have explored every inch of what we can see, we can't say, there is no other life.

I would doubt it. The first stars have to form then go nova to create the necessary elements for life. One of the early stars going bang wouldn't create a dense enough cloud of elements with the remainder of the general hydrogen around. I would suspect you need several in one region. That means more time.

Then this resulting cloud would have to cool to a dense enough cloud and the next star form from that, then a planetary system needs to form and stabilise. Life is not on a star it is on the planetary system around that star.

The early stars were big and energetic, so lots of radiation flying about, that doesn't do much for life to get going, also no planets were possible - the universe was made of hydrogen basically.

Sure that I have read that we are a third generation star, so if we are typical, and we are all that we have as fact, that means that for sufficent heavy elements to form the first stars have to go and then the next generation need to form and they have to go nova. These second stars will live longer before they go nova. Our sun formed 4.5 to 5 billion years back and this so far is where we know of the only life. So this one known instance of life took about 9 billion years to occur.

I suspect that the criteria for life is hugely more complex then count the number of stars and apply a simple factor. It appears that besides a goldilock zone of a planet around a star there is a goldilocks zone for a star in the Milky Way. That alone could wipe out 70-80% (or more) of everything we see.

If you believe the big bang theory, which I dont. At over 13 billion light years distant you will be looking very far back in time. You will therefore be seeing stars and galaxies in their earliest stages of evolution. Light from younger stars and galaxies at that distance will still be in transit, thus impossible to observe. More to the point, how do you go about finding things like 3 headed lions and vicious neck biting rabbits when the smallest objects your able to see are absolutely bloomin enormous. So enormous that in fact it would take like 150 years to cross one of them at 186000 miles per second.

Archived